Locks, where to carry them?

Cluelessbiker
Cluelessbiker Posts: 44
edited March 2012 in MTB general
As I have a shiny new mountain bike, I thought I would post this question here. OK where is a good place to carry a lock as my mountain bike is used as an everyday bike, i.e. not just off road. Secondly, what type of lock is best? Putting my cheapo lock in my back pack makes my back pack heavy and my back sweaty, yet I can find no suitable place on the bike to carry it otherwise. It is not a D Lock, just a £8 special from Wilkinsons.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I can categorically state that an £8 lock is all but useless! If you are insured, you need to get a lock that is approved by the insurers. If not, the big chain locks are best, then D locks. Most cable locks are only useful for nipping into the shops quickly (and even then...), or securing peripherals on the bike.

Do you leave the bike in the same place ie work? Then maybe think about keeping the lock onsitem as you will not have to carry it.

Fir £50 this is a good D lock:

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/2298.html

Has frame mounting brackets too.
  • mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    not sure how effective it is but I have one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/On-Guard-Onguar ... 2_edpp_url

I only use it to secure the bike at work, the bike is left inside my work building which has security.
    As I am out all day driving my truck the bike needs securing to stop other workers pinching it to ride down the shops.

I never leave my bike anywhere else
  • sparked
    sparked Posts: 57
    Ride my bike until I get home
  • Johnmc28
    Johnmc28 Posts: 7
    sparked wrote:

I bought one of these a few months back and they are good locks.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Johnmc28 wrote:
    sparked wrote:

I bought one of these a few months back and they are good locks.

Tested them for what they're intended for have you?
  • Wrap mine around the seatpost. Keeps it off your back.
  • Daryl_C
    Daryl_C Posts: 15
    I have just got myself a hiplock that essentially solves this issue!

http://www.hiplok.com/

You can get them cheaper on wiggle currently but no choice in colour though....

I just leave my d-lock at work due to weight and where to put it!
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Daryl_C wrote:

was just about to post about this lock I saw in my LBS that you can wear but couldn't remember the name of it for the life of me...

This is it..

Silver rated Sold Secure aswell.. Apparently they are working on a gOld rated on aswell...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Rushmore wrote:

Silver rated Sold Secure aswell.. Apparently they are working on a gOld rated on aswell...

Yeaaaah, that'll stop them pesky theives, gold rated, booyaa.

Muwhahaha.
  • larryb
    larryb Posts: 78
    Daryl_C wrote:

Thats a well good lock/idea.

Does anyone remeber them bar locks that transformed into a triangle mid 90's ish!! They was pretty tough!!!
    Canyon Nerve XC 7.0 Deep Black Ano - Silver, Rock Shox Reverb.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I picked up a gold rated magnus lock from halfords. Good enough for the insurance. I use it manly for my commuter bike, but I made that bike pretty ugly with the addition of a load of reflective tape, so I'm not sure what the biggest deterrent is for theives, the lock or the tape. Anyway, I've still got my commuter bike but I put that down to being sensible about where I lock it up. I carry the lock in my backpack but only when I need to. I only commute a couple of days so tend to take the lock between sites when driving ready for my next ride.

I only use it on my mountain bike to lock it to the roof rack for long journeys, even then the bikes stay within sight of at least one person travelling.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • I don't trust any lock, I just don't leave my bikes anywhere they can be got at. Easy for me but depends on your circumstances. Probably better not wasting £100 on a lock but buy a cheap distressed bike that won't get a second look from the thieving scum and you can afford to lose it. Your workmates probably won't want to ride it either.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I don't trust any lock, I just don't leave my bikes anywhere they can be got at. Easy for me but depends on your circumstances. Probably better not wasting £100 on a lock but buy a cheap distressed bike that won't get a second look from the thieving scum and you can afford to lose it. Your workmates probably won't want to ride it either.

I'm far too much of a bike snob :oops: to ride my 30 mile round trip commute on a £100 BSO.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • surreymtb
    surreymtb Posts: 26
    I have an Abus City Chain and I carry it round the seat post. Those hiplocks do look good, as soon as they get a gold version out Ill give one a go I think. If someone wants to nick your bike they will but it's about getting your insurance company to pay out if/when it does get nicked, hence mine stipulate a Sold Secure Gold. Sh*t happens sadly but thats life :twisted:
  • Iwingstein
    Iwingstein Posts: 111
    For those with hiplocks, bear in mind that when I was a motorcycle instrustor, we used to teach people not to wear security chains around their bodies cos if they came off and the chain caught something, it wouldn't be the chain snapping, it would be their bods. Ensure it can't catch on anything if you fall please.

Thanks

Simon
  • oodboo wrote:
    I don't trust any lock, I just don't leave my bikes anywhere they can be got at. Easy for me but depends on your circumstances. Probably better not wasting £100 on a lock but buy a cheap distressed bike that won't get a second look from the thieving scum and you can afford to lose it. Your workmates probably won't want to ride it either.

I'm far too much of a bike snob :oops: to ride my 30 mile round trip commute on a £100 BSO.

Me too, but then I can keep my bike safe at work. My point is that if you've a nice bike then don't leave it anywhere vulnerable because no matter how expensive the lock, if someone determined enough wants it, they will nick it. Just make sure you've got insurance you can claim on!
  • rebel_brown
    rebel_brown Posts: 126
    It depends on your budget, but this thread tells you almost everything you need to know about which locks work.

If you don't plan on leaving your bike unattended for long periods in a city with a high crime rate (such as London), then this thread might come in handy.
  • i use a motorbike chain and wear it like a satchel across my shoulder if i need to be mobile or a big dlock if it is a t work/ uni etc
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • Thank you for all your very informative replies, I did look into the Hiplock thing but at 1.8 KG's I think that would be uncomfortable, personally the thought of getting a cheap and nasty bike to nip down to the shops with is the best idea yet. As for my shiney pride and joy, well I would never leave that anywhere unless I was with a group of riders.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If the bike is worth something, never leave it out of sight when outdoors, secure at home indoors (not garage or shed, no matter how much you invest in fancy locks and anchors - they're nice quiet comfortable places for them to get to work in).

Cheap bike for the shops, commute etc with locks that will satisfy the insurers. Note that these locks are actually fairly useless, but they just keep the insurer happy.

If it's expensive, the pros will go for it with the right kit and dead easy for them.

http://youtu.be/6AdugFzCi24
    http://youtu.be/rhPzF-hyC7Q
  • mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    I didnt realise it was so easy, I wont be locking my bike anywhere
  • Just watched the vids, so now there is absolutely no way I will waste money on a lock, and my bike stays firmly indoors, unleess I am riding it of course.
  • I agree with Arthur Scrimshaw.

Most locks are made of cheese in the grips of a professional bolt cutter wielding homicidal maniac.

I once bought a bike for 50p from a jumble sale, worked for years and even had a coaster brake, Bargain!

Might be better off scanning classifieds or car boots sales for bargains, rather than bothering with expensive locks, cheap and bike and lock might fare better.