Commuting and Weekend Bike Possible?

cheddarpaul
cheddarpaul Posts: 126
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Am I asking for the holy grail - looking for something that I can use to get in to work, which would carry a rack but will double up, with the rack removed, for the very occasional sportive or longer weekend ride if needed. My budget is up to £800ish

Any help or advice is appreciated
Boardman Team Comp
Boardman CX Team
Boardman Full Suss Pro
Brick Lane fixie
Genesis Day One

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Anything with drop bars that can take a rack will be fine for a sportive. I used to have a rack on my old Boardman for a bit fine for sportives.

I suspect something like a Genesis Equilibrium (2nd hand for that money) or Something like that would be perfect.
    How about a Boardman CX with slick tyres?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I have commuted, toured, TT-ed and sportived on my Allez.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    any bike described as being suited to an 'audax' would be ideal.

Tifosi CK7 is in budget. Its an old review but sure you could get one at this price.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... a-10-39421
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    prawny wrote:
    How about a Boardman CX with slick tyres?

+1 (or any other CX bike, for a do-everything bike). CX bikes have big clearances, so it's easy to fit mudguards, and they normally have rack mounting bosses too. Put narrow slicks on and you have a decent road bike; put some knobblies on and ride anywhere (or commute in the snow). They're designed to be carried too, so the decent ones are pretty light. There also tend to be quite a lot of cheap CX bikes around, so you should be able to get something very good for your budget.

If you do go CX, probably worth trying to get one with disc brakes. The older ones had cantis, which din't tend to be as effective as modern calipers. Discs only became legal for CX racing last year, but are much better imho.

As far as I can tell, the main disadvantages of CX bikes are that they are slightly less aerodynamic (consequence of the big clearances), and maybe not quite as light as the really light road bikes. The geometry might be a bit different, but b*ggered if I can tell the difference!

Edit: You can't enter road races on a CX bike with discs either, as discs aren't UCI-legal (this may change)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Always a small compromise, but there's plenty of bikes that fit your description.

I have a Condor Fratello, which is perfect for touring, great for commuting and more than adequate for sportives. My other (better) bike is quicker and more comfortable over long rides, but nowhere near as versatile.
    exercise.png
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Another +1 for the Boardman CX - probably the best value bike of its type out there -especially when the various discounts available are applied (see the Boardman CX Owners thread)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Consider an old school tourer. Not fashionable so great value used and less likely to get nicked than something more sporty. I've been mainly on my Rohloff geared bike through the winter but my main commuter is a classic steel framed tourer.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    My Trek Portland (now, for some reason known only to Trek, discontinued) is a great all-rounder (there is one on eBay at the mo, the seller wants twice what I paid for mine). It's barely slower than my roadies over distance, and as comfortable as the Viner. Done two centuries on it so far, one on a group ride where I had no bother keeping up.. Any of the CX/audax/tourer suggestions should do you nicely.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Tony-J
    Tony-J Posts: 53
    Ridgeback Radium or Cerium are good, Cannondale Caad 8's are too. The Ridgies are audax style and the Dale's more racy but will take guards. Take a long look at the Carradice SQR seat post bag system, or the German stuff..what is it? Rixen Kaul. A Carradice with an SQR and you wont need to lug around a rack on every ride. Audax bikes are probably a bit better than cross bikes for the sportive antics, although that could be my squat Tri-Cross comp and my gibbon arms.
    Glen (work colleague) 'So Tony, those stars in the sky..they're not really small...they're really far away?'
    Glen:'so the Scottish, the Welch and the Irish all have their own languages..so why don't the English have their own language?'
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Not sure whether it can take a rack, but the Ribble Winter Trainer always looked like an absolute bargain to me.

Do join the Equilibrium revolution, though, if you can find a decent second hand one (they do crop up on Ebay regularly). The frame is incredible and better than those several times its price, and you can always upgrade the rest over time. Still think you might have a problem with the rack, though.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    If you want something pretty bombproof, get a bike built around a Kinesis Crosslight frame and treat yourself to a second set of wheels. It'll push your budget up to around £1000 for the bike and £200 for the wheels, tyres and cassette, but you'll have a bike that can handle commuting, single track and road all in one.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Am I asking for the holy grail - looking for something that I can use to get in to work, which would carry a rack but will double up, with the rack removed, for the very occasional sportive or longer weekend ride if needed. My budget is up to £800ish

Any help or advice is appreciated

Tricross
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I have a Tifosi CK7, it's a really really great bike. Carbon forks, takes a rack on the back (pre-drilled so super-easy to take on and off) but not on the front, I've toured on it, commuted on it, ridden it to the pub, it's sturdy enough to carry all my crap, but still racy and fun to ride. I think it cost me £800 on the nose (with campag - was cheaper with shimano but I prefer campag's shifting system), but not sure if it still would.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Ribble Winter Trainer - very popular in Manchester/Cheshire
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    fossyant wrote:
    as are shell suits, stealing cars and mugging schoolkids for their iphones, so that's not necessarily a recommendation. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    t4tomo wrote:
    fossyant wrote:
    as are shell suits, stealing cars and mugging schoolkids for their iphones, so that's not necessarily a recommendation. :D

:lol::lol::lol:
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    t4tomo wrote:
    fossyant wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

Manchester, yes. Cheshire's all about gold-plated Bentleys and orange women. So, as you were, not advisable.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cheddarpaul
    cheddarpaul Posts: 126
    OK Thanks everyone

Out of the Carradice SQR range, which would fit a 15in laptop and a few other bits n bobs??
    Boardman Team Comp
    Boardman CX Team
    Boardman Full Suss Pro
    Brick Lane fixie
    Genesis Day One
  • Tony-J
    Tony-J Posts: 53
    Carradice Camper Longflap no problem. Maybe even a Nelson.
    Glen (work colleague) 'So Tony, those stars in the sky..they're not really small...they're really far away?'
    Glen:'so the Scottish, the Welch and the Irish all have their own languages..so why don't the English have their own language?'