Woah! Who turned Spring up to 11?

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
I am currently being slow roasted, sitting by a window with sunshine pouring through it. It is proper hot in here.

So hot, the air con machine has been pressed into action for the first time this year.

Phew, what a scorcha!

<Cue: stock footage of birds in bikinis and men in shorts on English beaches looking, well, a bit sh!t really>
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Yeah was lovely last Thursday went to meet a friend and have a drink after, really warm and bright out side the pub.

And on the way saw my first "ram air scoop" though thought said lady was being a bit ambitious with the weather.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Ditto.

'Twas my first bike commute today for a couple of weeks. Just a little bit of a temperature difference :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Just had a 2 hour lunch in the sunshine around St Paul's. Glorious!
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Cold snap coming this weekend, back to minus temps at night, and widespread snow across northern england and scotland.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Hmm. Just remembered that I'm still in long roubaix leggings and early spring top.

May need to hide indoors like a morlock until it cools down enough to come out...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I've not managed to have lunch today as it's quite busy so I'm going to bunk off early. Don't know if I'll have an extended ride or go home and do stuff.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    It's cold here in Ilford. Well cold to me anyway.

And Roger, stop objectifying women!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • okgo wrote:
    Cold snap coming this weekend, back to minus temps at night, and widespread snow across northern england and scotland.

Silence, killjoy!

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Snarfed down a steak sandwich in the sunshine, followed by a brownie, all the while chatting about bikes with CJCP. Pretty awesome lunch to be honest.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Greg66 wrote:
    Hmm. Just remembered that I'm still in long roubaix leggings and early spring top.

May need to hide indoors like a morlock until it cools down enough to come out...
    Same here. Full length night vision tights and a merino wool top...it was 4 degrees this morning.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    okgo wrote:
    Stone him!
  • DonDaddyD
    It's that horrible time when you've still got to dress for winter during the morning commute and dress for early summer for the ride home.

Grumbles, Bloody climate change that!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It's that horrible time when you've still got to dress for winter during the morning commute and dress for early summer for the ride home.

MTFU dude
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DonDaddyD wrote:

MTFU dude

To be fair to DDD, MM has the winter hardiness of a yeti, albeit a shaved one.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Why can't it be like this on Sat/Sun FFS? Forecast is not good.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    MTFU dude
    To be fair to DDD, MM has the winter hardiness of a yeti, albeit a shaved one.

ahh, you haven't seen the chest rug then :D twas a sweaty beast yesterday coming in - mitts, ss jersey and shorts. Am going to have to use sleeveless soon.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DonDaddyD
    I don't have chest hair, facial hair (I shave twice a week, stubble still only come by day 2/3). If the sun isn't hot enough to turn Ms DDD brown, it's too cold for me.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,362
    DonDaddyD wrote:

MTFU dude

+1 Grit your teeth in the morning, or pedal harder :)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't have chest hair, facial hair (I shave twice a week, stubble still only come by day 2/3). If the sun isn't hot enough to turn Ms DDD brown, it's too cold for me.

it's easier for me to name places i don't get hair. I don't think that makes much difference though.

for myself I grew up and spent a lot of my younger days in the Brecon Beacons to put simply I don't mind being cold, though does get a little worrisome when you can feel the skin in your hands tighten and creak if it gets properly cold.

properly means for me means -10/20 on the hills.

for my wife it means 5 degrees and overcast.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Not when i got off the train here 3c foggy and cold brrrr
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Erm... its fine weather for bibshorts and SS jersey. Fingerless gloves.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    DonDaddyD wrote:

it's easier for me to name places i don't get hair. I don't think that makes much difference though.
    The top of my head for starters :?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,362
    itboffin wrote:
    Not when i got off the train here 3c foggy and cold brrrr

Not that cold, but a definite drop in temperature as I rode across the Mitcham Common this evening - must have been 3-5˚C difference in a matter of metres.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    and there we go 1c farking ace, i guess it's ice tyres tomorrow just in case

hruuuumph
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Strewfff. That was farkin cold this morning. Mitts were a mistake, as I discovered at about 1.4 miles in.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Mitts and jersey seemed to *just* about cut it in London this morning. Any colder and it would have been uncomfortable. Not a breath of wind.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    CiB wrote:
    Strewfff. That was farkin cold this morning. Mitts were a mistake, as I discovered at about 1.4 miles in.

bleeding cold here today today

i made it 1 royal mile before wimping out an putting a jacket an gloves on

forecast looks pretty good for laters though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • itboffin
    Yep horrid horrid horrid horrid horrid horrid horrid horrid
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I hope to be back on mine tomorrow, god knows what the weather will do tomorrow, twas a bit murky round my parts this morning and didn't feel that warm till I got into the centre
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    CiB wrote:

I thought that as well, luckily I had full finger gloves close to hand and swapped them within 1/2 a mile of setting out.