How feckin' much?

Crapaud
Crapaud Posts: 2,483
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
It's been a while since I've been out on the bike, so I thought it was about time to spruce the bike up and get back out. With this in mind I popped into the LBS for some degreaser and lube. A tin of Finishline Speed Degreaser is now £12.99!!! How feckin' much? £12.99!!!

I've got an identical tin from 2 - 3max - years ago and it was only £7.95. Is this the true cost of cycling being more popular: higher prices? How the feck can they justify a £5 increase - are we being fleeced?
A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill

Comments

• bartman100
    bartman100 Posts: 544
    this will do a better job for £1.67

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/turps-whit ... Fg7g%3D%3D
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    I think rrp is 10.99? That's what we sell it for at work.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    As I've always said - don't buy at the LBS. Finish Line, Muc Off etc - all a big rip off.

Jizer/Gunk/embryonic citrus degreaser/etc etc from anywhere else - local motor factor, etc etc. I currently pay £12 for 5 litres of Jizer - lasts 18 months and its used every week for chain/sprocket cleaning and random other bigger jobs (whole bike, m/bikes, that sort of jazz).

Do a search on here - countless hours of constant bickering regarding this subject, but no to patying how much??? for some degreaser just because it comes in a trendy bottle.
  • Crapaud
    mattv wrote:
    I think rrp is 10.99? That's what we sell it for at work.
    Even if I've got mixed up, that's still a bit of a hike over 2-3 years, Matt. There was another tin, which I was told was for MTBs *spit* *, that was £14.99. :shock:
    Yossie wrote:
    ... As I've always said - don't buy at the LBS. Finish Line, Muc Off etc - all a big rip off.
    I've always argued that you should support your LBS or they won't be there when you need them. I'd be reluctant to stop on the grounds of price, but I might have to reconsider.

*Now go and shave your legs and get back to your own forum :wink:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • bartman100
    bartman100 Posts: 544
    I repeat WHITE SPIRIT IS ALL YOU NEED COMRADES, I promise you.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    edited March 2012
    bartman100 wrote:

Add some grenadine, orange juice and an umbrella and it's good as a basis for White Spirit Sunrises too.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Here we go again-dont degrease,wipe with babywipes after each ride and lube when needed-Finishline Wet is the best.
    Please God,dont let this...oh well.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • White spirit and WD40.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    bartman100 wrote:

+1

Metholated spirit is great for wheel rims though.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Crapaud
    nevman wrote:
    Here we go again-dont degrease,wipe with babywipes after each ride and lube when needed-Finishline Wet is the best.
    Please God,dont let this...oh well.
    Yeah. They seem to have missed the point. I wasn't surprised that there'd been a rise in prices, but was at the degree of the rise. Naturally I had a nose about at other stuff and it'd all gone up by a considerable amount.

Perhaps the thread could be salvaged as a girls in grease thread.

grease-movie-p081.jpg
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    bartman100 wrote:

+1

Some people's garages must look like a terrorist cell.....I hope you don't have a quick smoke while cleaning the bike.. :wink:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    White spirit and WD40.

Absolutely, the carrier solvents in WD40 will do a fantastic job of stripping out any remaining lube before you lube the chain properly.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    grease-girl-dirty-hands-cleaning-engine.jpg
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    pottssteve wrote:
    bartman100 wrote:

+1

Some people's garages must look like a terrorist cell.....I hope you don't have a quick smoke while cleaning the bike.. :wink:

Oh yes, one spark off the turbo and my shed and I will be blown all the way to "crudcatcher". :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.