Taco-resistant front wheel?

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited March 2012 in MTB general
Have bent a couple of front wheels just recently one was my fault but the other just scrubbed sideways and folded pretty badly (XM719/20mm XT/db spokes).

I realise that bicycle wheels are not that strong laterally but is there anything that can be done at the build stage or in terms of components that can make them tougher?

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    If your not looking at changing the components then the first thing would be to check your spoke tension to make sure they are done up correctly. Over time, how hard you ride etc will all have an effect on them & only takes a minute or 2 to check them out.

You might want to consider changing some of the components to ones that are better suited to your riding style though have a chat with your LBS first.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes. have then well built.

sounds like your mavic build was very poor.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    Not the sort of thing you'd expect then from a fairly innocuous low-side?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Like i said poor build.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    .blitz wrote:
    Not the sort of thing you'd expect then from a fairly innocuous low-side?
    Could have been the wheel taco-ing that caused the low-side. If it's built poorly enough then it won't take much to destroy a wheel.
  • .blitz
    hello mcgee how's it going?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I agree, sounds like a poor build ie grossly undertensioned or unevenlt tensioned, or damaged from a previous encounter.

You can get stiffer rims, and more spokes if you want to go even more bombproof, but build is the main thing.
  • .blitz
    supersonic wrote:
    sounds like a poor build ie grossly undertensioned or unevenlt tensioned, or damaged from a previous encounter
    It didn't seem that bad :) it was one of Merlin's finest and I checked the tension fairly regularly.

I just went into a corner, leaned the bike, outside elbow up as you do and it felt like the hub dropped down through the wheel :?
  • supersonic
    I'd try a build with the Mavic EN521 or Stans Flow - 36 spokes if you want the extra stiffness.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    supersonic wrote:
    I'd try a build with the Mavic EN521 or Stans Flow - 36 spokes if you want the extra stiffness.

36 spokes doesnt really help, as its 36 spokes that aren't aligned as well as 32. The mentioned rims would be good though, double butted wide gauge spokes and brass nipples.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    It is still a stiffer wheel, easier to true and tesnion and will less likely to become untrue in the event of impact.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    .blitz wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    sounds like a poor build ie grossly undertensioned or unevenlt tensioned, or damaged from a previous encounter
    It didn't seem that bad :) it was one of Merlin's finest and I checked the tension fairly regularly.

I just went into a corner, leaned the bike, outside elbow up as you do and it felt like the hub dropped down through the wheel :?
    Hmm. A wheel that gives under normal riding sound grossly mis-tensioned to me.
    It could be that your regular checking of the tension just wasn't an educated enough. I mean, I could look at a space shuttle and say, "yep, everything seems in order", but the damn thing might still blow up. Because I wasn't certain what I was looking for!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    To be fair crashes can put really severe loads on a part, I don't think it's fair to just jump to the assumption it was a bad wheel. Even though I agree it's likely!
    Uncompromising extremist