Selling a car on ebay

stuart_c-2
stuart_c-2 Posts: 805
edited March 2012 in The hub
Has anyone ever done it?

Are there any dangers or watch outs?

Going to be selling our Punto and it’s a bit of a junker so just want the easiest way to out it. Looked on webuyanycar.com and they offered a pitiful £150 for it, looked at similar spec and age cars on ebay and they were getting bids of £400-600 so sounds like a much better option. But I just wanna make sure there isn’t anything obvious I’m missing. I know there will be listing fees and final valuation stuff, but it still sounds like the money will be better.

Any and all advice would be great.

Thanks

Stu
"I ride to eat"

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't offer to ship it to Nigeria along with the change for the £10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 cheque they send you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    The only danger is when you're buying and people mislead you with the ad.

Selling is different, just describe it as is and someone turns up with some cash or pays you through paypal, job done.
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    I sold my knackered old Audi S3 on eBay. Was upfront about the fact I'd been told it needed a new engine, and put a price that reflected the state. Ad went up on a Sunday evening and I had a little less than the asking price in my bank, and the car gone, by the end of the next day.

I'd say the only thing to be wary of is payment. Probably best to take cash or bankers draft, and go to the bank to check it out before handing over the keys/documentation.
  • zovelo
    zovelo Posts: 7
    It's also worth making it clear that a winning bid is the price paid and not a licence to haggle after the auction ends.
    As long as your listing makes it clear the state of the car and the fact that the buyer has to pay the price he bids there's no problem.
    There are some dodgy buggers that will place a high bid without viewing the car first, then turn up with all kinds of excuses and reasons why they aren't going to pay what they bid.
    Make it clear in your listing what the faults are with the car and say that viewing is welcome before auction ends but the winning bid is the price they pay. Maybe say payment is required by Paypal after auction ends instead of cash on collection, that way you'll already have the money before the buyer turns up.
    Other than that there's just the usual precautions, such as not letting the buyer take a test drive on his own. Always go with him, as it's all too easy to tamper with a car and make it look like it has a problem that will allow them to haggle the price. (yes, I got burned once!)
    Don't panic though - I've bought and sold cars on ebay with no problems. No different to selling cars any other way, just a different way of paying.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    When selling I find it is worth describing every single defect you can, this way it gives buyers a reassurance you are not hiding anything else.

Treat it as just like selling through classifieds, I would always make it clear thant on receipt of an acceptable offer you'd be willing to add a buy it now price.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • richh
    richh Posts: 187
    I've sold a couple of cars via ebay and I've never had any problems. As above make sure your ad is honest and do mention things that aren't quite right and you'll be fine.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    zovelo wrote:
    It's also worth making it clear that a winning bid is the price paid and not a licence to haggle after the auction ends.
    As long as your listing makes it clear the state of the car and the fact that the buyer has to pay the price he bids there's no problem.quote]

^This.

Last car I sold some Bulgarian bloke turned up and expected to get the car for cash at £300 less than he bid, as he was 'exporting it'. Obviously he didn't get the discount he wanted.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?