Wide Fitting Cycling Shoes?

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
As the title says- which are wide fitting, that take spd cleat ( ie recessed cleat - not road shoe style?
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Sidi Dominator Mega?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Shimano have always been fine on my fat fat feet.
    Just try them on first - you'll need to go up at least a full size from your civvy shoes.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    cheers people
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    My Lake shoes were about as wide as my trainers and they came with an additional wide fitting - I can't imagine feet that wide.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    dhope wrote:
    Sidi Dominator Mega?
    Exactly what I was going to say. Best SPD shoes I've ever owned.

More generally, because Sidis tend to be quite narrow, they do most (possibly all) of their shoes in a "Mega" range which is wide.

Specialized also seem to be quite good for my wide feet...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Not sure if they come in 2 or 3 bolt fitting though

clown.jpg
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Want!
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pearl-izumi/x-road-shoe-ec027192

These pearl izumis. MTB Spd fitting but more road / touring style. I have wid-ish feet and they fit fine.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Would love a pair of Sidi's but the cost is painful. Settled for Spesh BG pros, which are a nice wide fit.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Looks like we are all going to suggest every make out there, but when buying mine I was told Specialized are better for wider feet. Don't forget to buy a size up from normal.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I have Spesh BG Expert MTBs and they're great. I don't have particularly fat feet.

Mentioned the Sidis because I want some...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    Shimano have always been fine on my fat fat feet.
    Just try them on first - you'll need to go up at least a full size from your civvy shoes.

Interesting. I found Shimano too narrow for me but Specialized fitted (and fit) perfectly.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've got relatively wide feet and Shimano (a size up) fit ok. Sidis (a size up) will also fit though I think Megas would be better.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Shimano do a wide fit in addition to the normal line (but with 12G in a brogue, the standard 48 was fine). Spesh come up wide too.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Don't forget to buy a size up from normal.

boo hoo, anybody so size 17 spds then, and if they did are there any sticky out enough pedals?
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    TGOTB wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Sidi Dominator Mega?
    Exactly what I was going to say. Best SPD shoes I've ever owned.

More generally, because Sidis tend to be quite narrow, they do most (possibly all) of their shoes in a "Mega" range which is wide.

Specialized also seem to be quite good for my wide feet...

+2

I use dominators for winter/commuting and Genius for best (both in Mega).
    They may cost a bit initially but all fittings are replacable and available and they just last and last.

They sort of do heat moulding as well. If you wear neoprene overshoes a couple of times and get a good foot sweat on the Lorica molds to your feet!!
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Northwave seem to have quite a wide fit. Seems strange as Italian kit seems to be on the tiny side most of the time.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    prj45 wrote:
    Don't forget to buy a size up from normal.

boo hoo, anybody so size 17 spds then, and if they did are there any sticky out enough pedals?

Not SPD, but Speedplay certainly do extra long sticky out bits for those with clown feet.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Has anyone else found Mavic shoes a bit narrow?
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    Kurako wrote:
    Northwave seem to have quite a wide fit. Seems strange as Italian kit seems to be on the tiny side most of the time.

Yep - I've got pretty wide feet and use northwave on road and mtb - very comfy indeed. Lake are the other brand that are good for wide feet. Specialized not too bad either I think, but not as wide as first two. Shimano and Mavic are generally considered to be better for narrow feet. I should know - I spent days trying on every pair of cycling shoes under the sun... v important to get the fit right.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    notsoblue wrote:
    Has anyone else found Mavic shoes a bit narrow?

I have quite narrow feet and found Northwave slipped right off. Ended up with Mavics after trying on umpteen pairs in just about every shop within a 2 mile radius of Blackfriars.