HELP. Grade 3 torn hamstring

skellator
skellator Posts: 29
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
im after a little advice my 17 year old son has just suffered a grade 3 torn hamstring, this is the worst grade, but its not bad enough to need surgery, has anyone any advice to help minimise the damage?

all advice greatfully received
What goes up must come down wheeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

Comments

• upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Is there visible bruising ?

report straight to a physiotherapist,treat with ice.....Oh and rest it good (minimum a couple of months)

Been there and done that,a very painful injury,i had a good 5/6 sessions of physio before i could even think of running again.

Although im back running now,the injury is still a niggle(and i done mine at last years London Marathon).
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • skellator
    yes bruising is starting to apear, it happened on tuesday, have been doing Rest, Ice,Compression and Elelevation.
    my worry is that hes young and dont want him to have probs later on with it, i will book him into a sports injury therapist in a few weeks when its able to be worked on, was just wondering if i should shout more at NHS try for MRI scan.
    what was your treatment?
    it wil take him at least 6 to 8 weeks to start light training again
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    My treatment consisted of Resistance/stretching and light exercise,i remember also doing a lot of hopping exercises to gain strength in the leg.
    I was able to ride the bike all be it very lightly during the treatment(No hills or powering through the pedals) basically just going through the motions.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • timmyturbo
    timmyturbo Posts: 617
    Treading water in a swimming pool , is very very boring , but a fantastic recovery exercise .
    Britannia waives the rules
  • skellator
    will get him to try that, hes got easy access to a pool as he is a qualified swim coach
  • skellator
    thats whats going to be the biggest problem, keeping him from doing to much.
    he swims, runs, cycles, plays footie and rugby as well as badminton. one good thing is it cuts down on dads taxi service
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Didn't Ryan Giggs credit yoga with helping him to sort out his long term hamstring issues? If you want it sorted properly it will definitely cost either way, the NHS really isn't setup to deal with non-critical sports injuries.
  • timmyturbo
    timmyturbo Posts: 617
    Didn't Ryan Giggs credit yoga with helping him to sort out his long term hamstring issues? If you want it sorted properly it will definitely cost either way, the NHS really isn't setup to deal with non-critical sports injuries.

i did my first yoga class the other day , and i was shocked by , how much my legs hurt afterwards in a good way , but seriously , everything hurt ( i cant spell aiked and have had a few bevvies) , i know what 6 miles cross country feels like , and also 40 miles C.T.C feels like ( including the cups of tea and beers etc . Sections will remain nameless . BUT YOGA MADE ME FEEL THE BURN . Its not like i was tensing the sh*t out of myself , but it fully worked . Have a Good un . init !
    Britannia waives the rules
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Yoga - only worth it if there are lots of fit lasses in tight clothes doing the splits right in front of me

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!