who are you insured with?

dirty face
dirty face Posts: 139
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking for bike insurance, my existing homw contents won't cover me as the bike value is greater than the max they will cover so I have to go for a stand alone policy. So far its looking very expensive (same as my contents insurance in some cases).

Who do you guys insure with and is there any recomendations?
If you don't fall off you're not trying hard enough!

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    M & S home insurance cover bikes up to £4k.

CAn't you just add your bike as a named item and pay a littl eextra for it?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • dirty face
    I tried but they said they only cover bikes up to £2k. However, I didn't put it like you just did, but I'm sure if I did that they would want some details of the 'named item' and then discover its a bike and invalidate the cover?
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    +1 for M&S once renewal time comes through, they don't have to be named items either - never had to claim so can't comment on that side of things though... sorry can't help much on the standalone insurance, when I looked into it, between all my bikes it would have cost £60 per month or something ridiculous like that!
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    bails87 wrote:

They don't any more for new customers, their policy booklet on their website now says £1k unless specified.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:

They don't any more for new customers, their policy booklet on their website now says £1k unless specified.
    Ah right.

You can still specify the item and have it covered though? Unlike the OPs current insurance co who won't cover it at all.
    MTB/CX

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    My bikes are on the contents with Aviva. I've not clained for a bike but I have claimed for other stuff and they've been perfectly reasonable about it.

IIRC the limit is £1000 per bike but since you have to declare each one it did cross my mind that an unscrupulous person could declare more bikes than they actually own...
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    bails87 wrote:

Oh, didn't realize that - my insurance renewed recently, must check the fine frint to make sure they haven't changed mine! :?

J
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    .blitz wrote:
    My bikes are on the contents with Aviva. I've not clained for a bike but I have claimed for other stuff and they've been perfectly reasonable about it.

IIRC the limit is £1000 per bike but since you have to declare each one it did cross my mind that an unscrupulous person could declare more bikes than they actually own...
    And prove they owned them after a loss?
    They are not just going to hand over a grand.

You can insure your contents for a billion, but you're not going to be rich after a 'burglary'.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dirty face
    I used to be with aviva for kit and contents (when they were called something else) but i changed cus i thought they were quite expensive. I then turned to my bank for contents insurance cus they were relatively cheaper but at the time i did'nt know i was buying such an expensive bike so did'nt consider it at all.

looks like I will have to go with a stand alone policy and take the hit on the price of the premiums. its a case of better of two evils - no insurance and save a few pound each month, but risk not being able to replace my bike due to cost if its stolen, or take the hit on monthly premiums and gain piece of mind that I could replace my pride and joy if some skip rat decides to half inch it.

insurance is a bloody scam anyway, won't be too long before I've paid in premiums the value of my bike back to the insurer - daylight f******g robberey either way!
  • bails87
    Why not just change your insurer? Can't you end it early?

If the cost just for the bike is more than your general contents one then it woul dbe cheaper to have two contents policies running at the same time.
    MTB/CX

• dirty face
    not sure if I can change early without a fee, but don't really want to change my contents insurance anyway.

Just wandered what others were paying on average for high end bikes and who with so I can look for the cheapest provider. Done some searches but only really came up with E&L, CycleGuard and the usuals, not much choice out there from what i've found.
  • .blitz
    cooldad wrote:
    And prove they owned them after a loss? They are not just going to hand over a grand.
    Would be interesting to know how they would handle it. The previous insurers wanted proof of purchase and went into a tailspin when a £1k bike became a £2k bike as a result of upgrades.

With Aviva I've added a bike per year and at no time have they asked for proof.
  • bails87
    .blitz wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    And prove they owned them after a loss? They are not just going to hand over a grand.
    Would be interesting to know how they would handle it. The previous insurers wanted proof of purchase and went into a tailspin when a £1k bike became a £2k bike as a result of upgrades.

With Aviva I've added a bike per year and at no time have they asked for proof.
    But you haven't asked them to pay for a replacement yet.... :wink:
    MTB/CX

• .blitz
    Are you suggesting that they will dismiss my epic stable of bikes as a figment of my imagination when (if) I make a claim?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have put details and pictures of all my bikes on imobilise.com (free). You can print out certificates if you need to claim on insurance. It means you also can record all upgrades. Whilst not watertight proof of ownership and value, it should certainly add authenticity to any claim.
  • flappy8
    flappy8 Posts: 172
    The other thing to check is the v boring small print. So you love your Zesty, or whatever and when it’s time to claim often they want to go through and offer "an equivalent" - 'cos a mountain bike is a mountain bike don’t you know. Their brochure "takes the hassle out by dealing direct with suppliers, so you don't have to". They have a deal with Halfords and suggest whatever they have. They get a kickback from the retailer - it costs them less. You end up with no choice.
    This happens a lot with TV's etc. and is often difficult to fight. A good reason why it’s worth having some good pics of your bike, and certainly one with you on it. Receipts, specs etc all useful. Scan them and save them offline for a rainy day.
    Might seem paranoid but having fought insurance companies before, the concept of “they’re here to help you" is complete tosh. You will be regarded as a scammer until you can prove otherwise.
    MTB or Road - They are both good!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    .blitz wrote:
    Are you suggesting that they will dismiss my epic stable of bikes as a figment of my imagination when (if) I make a claim?

And yes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dirty face
    so back to my original question - who do you insure with.....any recommendations?
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    Santanders choices insurance. Anything over £1500 just has to be listed separately .
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    bails87 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Ah right.

You can still specify the item and have it covered though? Unlike the OPs current insurance co who won't cover it at all.

You can but the price is astronomical, like you I'm an old customer so on the £4k limit.

I tried a new quote and the price is 4x what I'm paying when doing it as a new business quote and naming the bikes.