from road shoes to mtb shoes

stronginthesun
stronginthesun Posts: 433
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
fed up of waddling round like a duck every time i stop for a cup of tea or take a leak . thinking of changing from my current road shoes to a mtb shoe . at the moment running look keo pedals and cleats , what will i need to change ? what options have i ?

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Probably Shoes and pedals, Shoes are the same apart from the grips on the bottom, but lower end ones tend to have more flex for better walking.

Try Shimano or Time pedals
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • thanks . was wondering what was compatible with what ? will all mtb shoes take all cleats ?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    MTB shoes take a different pattern cleat to road pedals - you'll need to think about changing both shoes and pedals. If you look at a race-oriented MTB shoes, they are often similar to the road model, just with extra moulded grips. Shimano SPD pedals are the most popular and can be bought quite cheaply - downside is often weighty and have poor ability to handle mud. Because of the smaller cleat size, MTB shoes and pedals don't feel quite as secure / positive as a road pedal IME - I run some stiff, carbon soled MTB shoes and Look Quartz pedals for both CX, commuting and winter training. For faster road rides and racing, I stick with road shoes and pedals for lowest weight and optimum power transfer.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    time atac pedals are good and strong. use two bolt cleats.
  • I use specialized Bg sport mtb shoes which I can't get to flex, and I like the shimano A600 pedals.
  • ineedalager
    ineedalager Posts: 374
    I was a MTBer and started road biking in October 2011. I tried Look Delta pedals and cleats for 3 months. I went back to my Shimano M520 pedals and cleats I been using for 3 years as cliping in was a nightmere slippimg off the back of the pedals wobbling all over the place trying to clip in leaving traffic lights made me look like a right plonker!. As you say no more waddling around like a duck, I find there is little noticeable performance difference either. I can still keep up with my buddies on the Saturday morning ride.

SPD cleats have a 2 bolt fixing and I fitted the cleats to my Nike road shoes so I do have the option of the carbon fibre soles shoes if I want. Biggest advantage and what I struggled with most was you can clip in on both sides of the pedals and I don't have to even look down when wearing my MTB shoes to clip in. Also you cam unclip both feet before coming to a stop without the panic that brings with road shoes!

Shimano M520 pedals are only about £22 and come with cleats.