Strava "Cheats"

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
It's not a big deal to me because most of the time I'm the only person on any of my segments but what do you guys do when the KoM is clearly an "inaccurate" recording? I have a segment which is effectively crossing the Kessock Bridge uphill. Off the top of my head, it's about a mile. The KoM time is 1m30s or even less - minutes faster than me and clearly not done pedalling a bicycle. What stops all the "popular" segments being ruined like this?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Flag it?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Flag it if its obviously way out. I've been flagged a couple of times though (I think) where I have been on a bike, haven't been told just had my time removed. If its marginal, just leave it - its only a bit of fun after all!
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    BigMat wrote:
    Flag it if its obviously way out. I've been flagged a couple of times though (I think) where I have been on a bike, haven't been told just had my time removed. If its marginal, just leave it - its only a bit of fun after all!

... but were you dope tested?
    exercise.png
  • Come on then, link to the segment.

And, don't underestimate exactly how fast some people *can* go. There's a massive difference between the likes of us and some of the near-pro riders.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Yep, if any times look clearly dodgy (or, if you are really desperate for the KOM, are just faster than you!) then get them flagged.
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    treat it like one of those old arcade games. 999999 - aaa is never going to get beat. Its all about the pb!
  • meanredspider
    Come on then, link to the segment.

And, don't underestimate exactly how fast some people *can* go. There's a massive difference between the likes of us and some of the near-pro riders.

LMAO - I'm amused to think that people think I care that much :wink:

Here you are http://app.strava.com/rides/1629331#34035668

He was travelling at a shade under 100km/h :D:D:D

I don't know how the bring the full map of his ride up but it looks as though he was travelling to the outer Hebrides or somewhere.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Hmmmm... And he looks to have been cycling along the M6 at roughly 70-80 mph. Definitely flag it.
  • meanredspider
    Hmmmm... And he looks to have been cycling along the M6 at roughly 70-80 mph. Definitely flag it.

Believe me now? :wink::D:D:D

Perhaps I should report him to the constabulary? :wink::wink:
  • Hmmmm... And he looks to have been cycling along the M6 at roughly 70-80 mph. Definitely flag it.

Believe me now? :wink::D:D:D

Perhaps I should report him to the constabulary? :wink::wink:

As if I didn't believe you in the first place. :)

That said, Matt and I have both had KOMs flagged and removed by people who can't believe that a bike can go that damn fast...
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    looks like the GPS dropped out a number of times, seemed to have gone in direct line though the midlands and lord knows what the GPS things is happening over the sea.

i have debated flagging the leader at kingston bridge, as it doesn't look right. mind you i've been bumped up the leader board for Richmond Hill by the same process.

Got one nr me thats clearly someone driving home after a race, 70/80 on the Motorway and 40mph on the main road close by.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    That said, Matt and I have both had KOMs flagged and removed by people who can't believe that a bike can go that damn fast...

Do you get them back on appeal?
    ..... not that this will ever be an issue I'll have.
    exercise.png
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Come on then, link to the segment.

LMAO - I'm amused to think that people think I care that much :wink:

Here you are http://app.strava.com/rides/1629331#34035668

He was travelling at a shade under 100km/h :D:D:D

I don't know how the bring the full map of his ride up but it looks as though he was travelling to the outer Hebrides or somewhere.

I normally ride to and from the start/end of my club run (around 6 miles each way) from home and record this as the same ride on my garmin. One time I started up the road but then relaised i was running late so chucked the bike in the car and drove up there, did the club run then drove home. I forgot that I had done it then a month or so later I was having a sort out of the files and was astonished at my average speed for the day (a good couple of mph faster than normal but not stupidly fast)! Shattered my dreams when I decided to investigate further and realised why I was so fast on the day :oops:
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • TheStone wrote:

Didn't try, to be honest. I just went even faster the next time :)
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    TheStone wrote:

most of the segments i'm quick I have a lot of rides that i'm that quick or close enough anyhow. though my only KOM's are because noone else has attempted really.
  • meanredspider
    I do wish that I was competing with someone on my ride. PB's are all well and good but nothing quite like a bit of competition to drive you on.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I was sitting pretty at the top of this segment http://app.strava.com/segments/785402 until some bugger went through it at 60mph. I flagged and got it removed only for some superhuman git to best my time seemingly legitimately.

What I can't post on Strava though is that that PB was done on my single speed. Just as soon as the Cervelo R3 is delivered I'll be setting about reclaiming my rightful position (just as long as I can get a tailwind and time the lights right too)
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    TheStone wrote:

Go on, how fast?