Cheapest place for Garmin 800 in The City

FoldingJoe
FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Guys,

I've been given the go-ahead to go and get a Garmin 800 but the missus :oops: :D

Anybody know the cheapest place in the City to pick up the performance bundle?

Cheers,
FJ
Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    You'll be far better off buying it online. Handtec tend to do the best deals.
  • FoldingJoe
    IP<

Cheers for the advice, unfortunately I need it today.

What's the deal with the maps?

I'll need it for route guidance, so is the Performance package OK, or do I need to get the Peformance and Navigation bundle?

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • bonkstrong
    bonkstrong Posts: 120
    Evans Cycles will pricematch whatever you find online. At least that way you'll have a real person to deal with if anything goes wrong and not rely upon email trails and answer machines. That's no disrespect to Handtec, I've never used them.

Am I biased because I used to work at Evans? Yes. Is my advice also logically sound? Yes (moral compass aligned) - Just make sure you speak to someone who can actually help. You often find that there's a mixture of staff ranging from "rides the chain-gang every week and knows their stuff" to "Hang on a second, I'll just ask my manager how to size you up on a bike"
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Is the 800 the only one which will point you where you need to go?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    BONKSTRONG wrote:
    Evans Cycles will pricematch whatever you find online.

Not anymore they won't - not everywhere as far as I understand it. And I think that includes Handtec who apparently are not on the rather short list of approved price match companies.

Worth a try though.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • il_principe
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    IP<

Cheers for the advice, unfortunately I need it today.

What's the deal with the maps?

I'll need it for route guidance, so is the Performance package OK, or do I need to get the Peformance and Navigation bundle?

You need to buy a map if you want to get the best out of the Edge. I use city navigator Europe which has worked well in the Alps and the Pyrenees.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    yeah evans have cut down the amount of websites they price match off.

list of websites is here
    http://www.evanscycles.com/help/price-match
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    If you need it in short order because you've got a need to map yourself somwhere quick you'll need a route as well . .

You can rip one off from garmin connect or bike route toaster etc you'll probably need to tweak it. It's taken me a fair bit of dicking around with it to get used to finding a route/editing it/building it - downloading it, finding it on the garmin, starting it . . etc

Then there's the different sorts of files, one (gpx i think) gives you directions and tells you when turns are coming up, the other (tcx) just gives you a line to follow on your map. Obviously they are stored in different places on the garmin, download the wrong one and you are looking in the wrong place for it can get you biting

I use my garmin a lot to go places I've never been and I'm no expert with it - it does take some time to learn about, given that there are things living in my fridge taht learn quicker than me, you may be OK if you need to get mapping quick.....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • FoldingJoe
    Yep, went into Evans and they wouldn't price match HandTec (with next day delivery was coming out at £342), but managed to get it for £360, which I was happy with!!

:)

• il_principe
    Greg T wrote:
    If you need it in short order because you've got a need to map yourself somwhere quick you'll need a route as well . .

You can rip one off from garmin connect or bike route toaster etc you'll probably need to tweak it. It's taken me a fair bit of dicking around with it to get used to finding a route/editing it/building it - downloading it, finding it on the garmin, starting it . . etc

Then there's the different sorts of files, one (gpx i think) gives you directions and tells you when turns are coming up, the other (tcx) just gives you a line to follow on your map. Obviously they are stored in different places on the garmin, download the wrong one and you are looking in the wrong place for it can get you biting

Greg - .tcx routes can give you turn by turn. It's what I use as standard. You just need to turn on "turn guidance" when you select the course you want to follow. So:

Menu - Courses - select course - press the "spanner" logo - activate turn guidance - press "back" - press "Go" and you're done.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Greg - .tcx routes can give you turn by turn. It's what I use as standard. You just need to turn on "turn guidance" when you select the course you want to follow. So:

Menu - Courses - select course - press the "spanner" logo - activate turn guidance - press "back" - press "Go" and you're done.

Think you've got a newer one than me . .

I have the old one with buttons. I don't get the spanner logo and can't seem to find another menu option for turning guidance on . .
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?