10 speed crankset, 9 speed hub, 9 or 10 speed chain?

keith1200rs
keith1200rs Posts: 97
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I tried the FAQ & searched the forum but couldn't find the answer to this.

I have a 9 speed bike and need a new crankset. Most are now 10 speed. I will be keeping my 9 speed hub & gears. All are Shimano. Assuming I use a 10 speed crankset, should I use a 10 speed or 9 speed chain, or doesn't it matter? Plannned parts are M660 SLX crankset with my 9 speed XT hub.

Thanks.

Keith.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    9spd but 10 would work but you would have poor shifting on the front-
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks. Will 9 speed give good shifting on the front or is there a better way round the problem of mixing 9/10 speed?

Keith.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Why would you have poor shifting with a 10 speed chain?

Plenty of people have been running 10 speed road chains on 9 speed transmissions for years, they're lighter. I don't know of any who've had noticed any detrimental performance, just slightly quicker wear. I'd use a 9 speed one in your shoes.
  • Yes, I would have guessed that 9 speed chain would have been the best option provided that there weren't any issues running the slightly fatter chain on the 10 speed chainrings.

Thank you.

Keith.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some combos, with some '9' front mechs and '10' chains can be a bit slow to shift at the front I find. There is a lot of variance though.
  • Hi,

To save posting a different thread I thought I would ask on this one!

I have recently aquired a 10 speed X9 front mech and I'm hoping to make a frankendrivetrain...

Would the following be possible:

x9 10spd front mech
    Truvatic Stylo 9spd crankset
    deore front shifter
    xt 10spd rear shifter
    xt/slx (havent decided yet!) 10spd rear mech
    10spd cassette
    10spd chain

Possibly also going to run a 2x10 by swapping the top ring out for a bash on the 9 speed crankset as well.

if anyone can help that would be great!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It should work fine, but the chainrimngs are a little further apart than 10 speed set ups so may be a little rubbing in some combos.
  • spot on, thanks mate!