Directions to Cheapside

5milestogo
5milestogo Posts: 224
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi, new office new route.
I've moved to Cheapside EC2V and am really struggling with any logical, free flow way in from embankment. Google maps shows me (if I were a car) to head to bank, double up Gresham Street then back to Cheapside - this adds half a mile to a journey on foot from Blackfriars. I'd prefer to roll with the traffic but dont see any way to avoid heading up a couple of one way streets / pedestrian ways only if I am going to avoid the extra half mile in the 'shitty'. Any suggestions what route?
Other than that good to be back on the bike. Busy today. Already 650m behind where I was last year so alot of catching up to do - watch those stats.
Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
GT Edge Ti
Ribble Audax

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited March 2012
    5milestogo wrote:
    Hi, new office new route.
    I've moved to Cheapside EC2V and am really struggling with any logical, free flow way in from embankment. Google maps shows me (if I were a car) to head to bank, double up Gresham Street then back to Cheapside - this adds half a mile to a journey on foot from Blackfriars. I'd prefer to roll with the traffic but dont see any way to avoid heading up a couple of one way streets / pedestrian ways only if I am going to avoid the extra half mile in the 'shitty'. Any suggestions what route?
    Other than that good to be back on the bike. Busy today. Already 650m behind where I was last year so alot of catching up to do - watch those stats.

I tend to take the slip road that goes up just before blackfriars bridge and head up Queen victoria street to get Cannon street, and head around that way

I

http://g.co/maps/6n6bp << google maps doesn't seem to like going up the ramp but I can assure it works :P
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Up B'friars ramp, left onto Farringdon Rd, right at the lights up Ludgate Hill, round St Paul's, turn left, then onto Cheapside (I think there may be an issue with the right turn, though, so instead of the "turn left", straight on at the lights, turn left somewhere up through the streets near Bow Colony).

Hmm, you're right: not straightforward.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Blackfriars ramp, QVS, Cannon, Queen St is the obvious way to me.

There's a NRT off New Bridge to Ludgate Hill. I don't think you can do a right off New Change into Cheapside either.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Pufftmw wrote:
    There's a NRT off New Bridge to Ludgate Hill. I don't think you can do a right off New Change into Cheapside either.
    My exact route every morning!

Avoid the NRT (and myriad traffic lights on New Bridge St) by continuing along QVS for ~20 metres and then taking a left up Blackfriars Lane. There are bollards to stop cars using it as a cut-through, but you're fine on a bike. This brings you out on Ludgate Hill opposite the end of Old Bailey. Ride up Old Bailey, turn right at the top along Newgate St, follow the one-way system round the back of the BT building (Angel St I think) and you're there.

Nice bit of pave up Blackfriars Lane. Close your eyes and imagine (very briefly) that you're in Flanders. Watch out for the smidsy pedestrians though!
    Pannier, 120rpm.