SATNAV (Garmin VS TomTom)

ohara227
ohara227 Posts: 225
edited March 2012 in The hub
OK I admit this is probally a big question, but I am looking for a satnav with things like a 5 inch screen, voice control, bluetooth so I can use my phone via it. I have narrowed it down to:

Garmin Nuvi 2460LMT as this has life time maps, traffic and voice, I hear varied reports on Garmins otherwise this would be ideal

Garmin nuLink! 1695 LMU which has timetime maps, and free 1 year subscrition thing for traffic

TomTom Via LIVE 125 Sat Nav, not sure if this model is going out and replaced by the Go Live ones...

TomTom GO LIVE 1000 Europe (refurbished direct from TOMTOM) which again needs a annual sub thing

As I say I hear varying reports on Garmins, and ive had a NAVMAN before which failed once to many.

I dont need it for work day in, day out for seeing where I am going hence traffic is good. These have euro maps, just to future proof myself a bit too as I want a few euro trips.

Any experiences with any of these, or ones very similar would be appreciated please.

Ta
'The hills are alive with the sounds of panting'

Rides:

MTB - Giant 2008 Trance X2
Road - Giant 2010 Defy 2
Hybrid - Giant Escape 2011 City 2

Comments

• Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I've owned and still do own a few Garmin and TomTom devices.
    From a usability aspect, they do the same thing, but in my opinion the TomTom has the better user interface
    Also, I find TomTom units much better at calculating alternative routes when traffic is backed up or roads closed for whatever reason. The fact you can choose to exclude certain roads on the route before setting off makes the TomTom the clear winner in my book.
    The only advantage the Garmin has is the fact I can download updated maps from Torrent sites for free. Then again, that's me and I hate the fact that both Garmin and TomTom's map updates can cost up to 50-70% of what the unit cost new. Roads are always changing and updated maps are a must for me.
  • ohara227
    ohara227 Posts: 225
    Thanks for the heads up, I like the idea of the lifetime maps and traffic free with Garmin, but as long as the tomtom is up to date then I suppose it does not matter. I agree map prices are astronomical. Do you have any of the voice command ones, such as the Via 125 or Go Live 125? Any ideas what the difference between teh Via and Go range is?

Ta
    'The hills are alive with the sounds of panting'

Rides:

MTB - Giant 2008 Trance X2
    Road - Giant 2010 Defy 2
    Hybrid - Giant Escape 2011 City 2