i want a nice ipod/iphone dock

big_p
big_p Posts: 565
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
i dont know where to start looking, so tell me what you've got and why it's so good.

Comments

• How much do you want to spend?
    I've got an eighty quid one that's superb, especially as I paid £26 on eBay and I've just bought a baby one for under a fiver but it won't rival a £300 one so name your budget....
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    Geneva Sounds. Pick your price level. You won't be disappointed.
    Why? Have a look - you won't be disappointed. I have a M (in Walnut) and it rocks!
  • big_p
    no budget, if i like the look of it, i'll buy it. i usualy just look for the best (most expensive) but i'm open to guidence on this one as i know sod all about them.
  • Danny M
    Danny M Posts: 132
    bose sound dock

well worth the money
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air :shock:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    big p wrote:
    no budget, if i like the look of it, i'll buy it. i usualy just look for the best (most expensive) but i'm open to guidence on this one as i know sod all about them.

Ion Torrent PGM:

ion-pgm-12-22-2010.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/23/ion- ... ipod-dock/
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Hardwire it into a dCS dac/word clock, spectral pre power amplifier, focal utopia speakers and MIT oracle cable, you'll be on a winner there.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • eede
    eede Posts: 58
    Bang & Olufsen BeoSound8
    Friend of Herne Hill Velodrome: http://www.hernehillvelodrome.com/friends/
  • Another vote for the Bose Sound-dock. Love mine, and all my family have since brought them too.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    No you don't - digital music things are all shyyyyte.

You want the best turntable, amp and speakers you can buy and only ever listen to vinyl.

End of.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Yossie wrote:
    No you don't - digital music things are all shyyyyte.

You want the best turntable, amp and speakers you can buy and only ever listen to vinyl.

End of.

That.

But failing that get a Cambridge Audio dock and put it through the auxiliary input of your hifi amplifier.

Do not fall for the one box is best rubbish.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Digital music has it's place. I've had high end audio (had to sell when due to job issues, still have an ok system but nothing like I had) but I've always had an iPod connection due to ease, ideal for background music.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • redvee wrote:

+1
    Trainee BC level 2 coach ... and that's offical (30th June 2013)

Scott Addict R4 (2008)
    Scott Genius MC30 (2006)
    Quest carbon circa 1994 - winter bike
    Fuji Track Comp 2010
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    redvee wrote:

Can somebody be generous and give me the £500 to buy one?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Bose Sound Dock here as well, brilliant if you want portability, make sure you get the Mk II so that it will work with the iPhone 4s
  • redvee wrote:
    redvee wrote:

Can somebody be generous and give me the £500 to buy one?

Mines on eBay at the mo. is at £410!
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    redvee wrote:

+1

Another vote for the Zeppelin here. I've got the non-Air version and the sound quality is superb. You'll need to experiment with positioning, but it really is good even in a fairly large room (which the Bose sound dock isn't, by comparison).

I also like the Meridian F80, but it's a chunk more money.

Or go with NapD's idea if money/space isn't a concern!
  • Monkeypump
    Or this, if you want to be silly:

http://thewosexperience.com/
  • gasman_dave
    gasman_dave Posts: 129
    I have 4 Cambridge Audio docks around the house, so anyone can plug their ipod or phone in.

The best sounding bit of iPod hi-fi is the http://www.templeaudio.net/bantam.html amp which I have plugged into some Mission 760is and it is amazing. These amps are tiny, never run hot and only cost me about £100.
    I have tried the Bantam plugged into Linn Keilidhs and it coped brilliantly.

The B+W Zeppelin sounds great, but for the price, you can have a dock, Bantam amp and £250speakers all with decent cables, stands and interconnect. No comparison at all.

Or stick with vinyl

Dave
  • Monkeypump
    I have 4 Cambridge Audio docks around the house, so anyone can plug their ipod or phone in.

The best sounding bit of iPod hi-fi is the http://www.templeaudio.net/bantam.html amp which I have plugged into some Mission 760is and it is amazing. These amps are tiny, never run hot and only cost me about £100.
    I have tried the Bantam plugged into Linn Keilidhs and it coped brilliantly.

The B+W Zeppelin sounds great, but for the price, you can have a dock, Bantam amp and £250speakers all with decent cables, stands and interconnect. No comparison at all.

Or stick with vinyl

Dave
    I don't doubt the Bantam sounds good, but it looks a bit like a Maplin 'make it yourself' kit. Even with decent speakers, it's hardly a visually elegant solution :)
  • big_p
    i quite like spec on the zeplin air, it's a bit ugly though, i like the look of the geneva m more but there's no streaming with it though......... mind not made up yet.
  • gasman_dave
    gasman_dave Posts: 129
    Monkeypump wrote:
    I don't doubt the Bantam sounds good, but it looks a bit like a Maplin 'make it yourself' kit. Even with decent speakers, it's hardly a visually elegant solution :)

It is tiny so pretty unobtrusive. It should be about the sound for me and I've been quite impressed by the quality of build. On first looks it might disappoint but I really was impressed (as was my wife, who has been dragged around a few hi-fi shops) by the sound coming from something no bigger than my hand.

Dave
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump wrote:

It is tiny so pretty unobtrusive. It should be about the sound for me and I've been quite impressed by the quality of build. On first looks it might disappoint but I really was impressed (as was my wife, who has been dragged around a few hi-fi shops) by the sound coming from something no bigger than my hand.

Dave

Only kidding, and agree it's more about sound than looks.

OP - do you want a single-box 'lifestyle' solution or something more akin to 'proper' hi-fi?
  • big_p
    [/quote]

Only kidding, and agree it's more about sound than looks.

OP - do you want a single-box 'lifestyle' solution or something more akin to 'proper' hi-fi?[/quote]

single box, cant be bothered with a component system.
  • gareth273
    gareth273 Posts: 52
    I went through this a while ago. Decided not to go for a dock but bought a Sonos S5 instead as all my music is stored on my NAS. Install the Sonos app on your iPod touch/iPhone and you can select and control your music from the comfort of your sofa or turbo trainer. Sounds pretty good too for its size.

Just my 2p's worth
  • big_p
    i decided to go with the b&w Zeppelin air, sound's awesome and not as big as i though, i come's with a neat little remote control and when your streaming you just use your iphone as the remote.