Quinoa

bonkstrong
bonkstrong Posts: 120
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
So I've got myself some of this "protien rich" super food to make some nice snacks with only to read the packet and find that it's got just 2g of protien per 100g - I thought it was supposed to be a whole protien source!! Any other high protien pulses I can use to make my lunches with?

Comments

• Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    BONKSTRONG wrote:
    So I've got myself some of this "protien rich" super food to make some nice snacks with only to read the packet and find that it's got just 2g of protien per 100g - I thought it was supposed to be a whole protien source!! Any other high protien pulses I can use to make my lunches with?

That figures sounds wrong to me - I think it's something like 15% protein.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I think if you want protein, you're better off eating a piece of lean steak, chicken breast of piece of fish! Or are you veggie? As far as I understand it, veggie protein is less easily absorbed than animal sources but all beans and pulses are supposed to be higher than average veggie sources of protein. I eat quinoa sometimes just as an alternative to rice or pasta. It's supposed to be even more of a "superfood" if you let it sprout. When allowed to sprout many pulses release massive doses of vitamins and minerals...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Quinoa is lovely. I have it with tuna/salmon and green veg. Nice and quick, and better for you than white rice and pasta.
  • Guess it depends what your looking for it too do for you.

I use mine in salads but mix it up with cheese, nuts, tofu or canned beans (loads of different types) but don't tend to eat it as snack simply as its very similar to rice or cous cous and on its own would be a bit boring.

However if you are looking for snack foods then you might be better with nuts as higher in protein and good fats. Or you could aways try a rice cake with some nut butter (check out your local health food shop but almond butter is a good start point) with fruit.

Guess it just depends on how simple you want it to be could if you don't like salads make a sandwich but replace the bread slice/roll with pitta bread, a bagel or rice cakes.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Thanks guys!

It's going to be used similar to nsb in that it'll replace rice/pasta in dishes with tuna, salmon, chicken and other main protein sources. I'll post up any decent recipes I come up with - It seems like pretty cheap and versitile little thing so it should provide a nice base for a variety of nice dishes
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    BONKSTRONG wrote:

'Whole protein' means complete protein ie contains all 8 essential amino acids the body needs and can't produce itself. Another complete protein is soya. Vegetarians normally have to combine grains and pulses to get this complete protein. Meat is also a complete protein, but has saturated fat and no fibre.

Per 100g Quinoa is 14grams of protein, carb is 58.2 calories 350, 0 cholesterol fat 5, 5 fibre

Use any combination of grain and pulse to get complete protein ie beans on toast, pita bread and hummus, re fried beans in a wrap, smoked tofu is a complete protein so use as you would chicken, Quorn is also a complete protein so sausage sarnies!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I just eat anything I can get my hands on, is that OK?
  • team47b
    prj45 wrote:

How many meanings was that supposed to have? :D
  • notsoblue
    BONKSTRONG wrote:
    Thanks guys!

It's going to be used similar to nsb in that it'll replace rice/pasta in dishes with tuna, salmon, chicken and other main protein sources. I'll post up any decent recipes I come up with - It seems like pretty cheap and versitile little thing so it should provide a nice base for a variety of nice dishes

Yeah, share any recipes you come up with!

Quinoa doesn't need a great deal of seasoning in my opinion. Its nice with just some good fresh peppery olive oil and salt & pepper. Add some spinach leaves and it'll go well with cooked salmon.

Crossposted on mumsnet.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    notsoblue wrote:
    Crossposted on mumsnet.

Maybe we need a seperate thread for non het topics that you normally wouldn't be caught dead posting on?

I'd set it up myself but I'm so het I'm busy snorting tabassco.

Also
    Smoked Tofu

I suppose this may be a by product of trying to burn the fecking stuff but if anyone comes at me with a bit calling it dinner they'd better wave goodbye to the best crockery and that book in the decorators.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • bonkstrong
    team47b wrote:
    prj45 wrote:

How many meanings was that supposed to have? :D

Given that the last 2 topic they posted on contained "knee pain for the first time" and "Don't upgrade to a virgin" in the title, one can only imagine :lol:

Last night's dish was extremely tasty! Quinoa with salmon and green veg - sounds boring but tasted devine for a "health" food.
    The recipe went something like this...

50grams fresh Quinoa
    Mixture of fresh greens
    1 piece fresh salmon
    Half a red onion
    1/2 red pepper
    1 fresh bird eye chilli

Rinse quinoa and place in pan, cover with water and bring to the boil, add 1/3rd of a reduced salt stock cube. Simmer for 20 minutes or until translucent and seperated from from the kernel.

Go upstairs and read little boy bedtime story for 8-10 minutes. Then come back down and get annoyed when you find out that Salmon still has skin on. Place salmon skin side down in a frying pan with a little extra virgin olive oil and gently fry for 6-7 minutes on a low heat. Turn-over and seal sides before frying other side. Add mixture of green veg (baby broccoli, mange tout and green beans) and let them slowly cook. Take little boy glass of water that you promised but forgot.

Return downstairs, walk back upstairs to grab tea towel left in little boys room. Finley dice red onion and red pepper. Remove cooked quinoa and place in sieve to drain. Add small amount of EV Olive oil to pan and fry onion, red pepper and bird eye until soft. Add Quinoa and mix well - season to taste.

Place everything on plate in a jumbled pile and add sweet chilli dipping sauce as required because Masterchef is about to start and your running late... devour - think that it was that bad with skin on and tell self not to over-react next time as it helped with the cooking times to get everything all lovely and juicy at the same time.

Offer some to Mrs. Bonkstrong and get told off for offering her Salmon. Repeat offer 3-5 times, gently increasing the heated response.

/end report
  • notsoblue
    Was all going so well until you pan fried with extra virgin olive oil. For shame...

ಠ_ಠ
  • bonkstrong
    notsoblue wrote:
    Was all going so well until you pan fried with extra virgin olive oil. For shame...

ಠ_ಠ

But... it was all I had - :cry:
  • team47b
    Smoked Tofu

I suppose this may be a by product of trying to burn the fecking stuff but if anyone comes at me with a bit calling it dinner they'd better wave goodbye to the best crockery and that book in the decorators.[/quote]

Smoked t*fu is just smoked cheese, well cheese made from soya milk, well soya milk is made from beans...

...Ok about smoked mozzarella? :D
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    BONKSTRONG wrote:
    Then come back down and get annoyed when you find out that Salmon still has skin on. Place salmon skin side down in a frying pan with a little extra virgin olive oil and gently fry for 6-7 minutes on a low heat. Turn-over and seal sides before frying other side.

Dude - for an even lazier cook, just parcel the salmon up in tin foil with some sun dried tomatoes and a splash of the oil it comes in and lob it in the oven for 15 minutes. Skin will peel off easily (our dog loves it) if you don't want to eat it...
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    If you're looking to increase your intake of grains/pulses, then home-made veggie beanburgers are great, and really easy if you're in a rush, and you can make them different every time.

Use a tin of mixed beans - tescos and sainsbury's do them, and simmer until soft (don't take long).

Whizz in a food processer or blender until roughly chopped, and then add a tablespoon of tomato puree, an egg, a few breadcrumbs or cooked rice if you have it, salt and pepper, and then either say, chilli powder to make them spicy, oregano to make them Greeky, or I use that Ras al Hanout (middle eastern spices in a jar) for that Lebanese taste.

Turn out on to a floured board and shape into burgers, or little balls. Pan fry on medium heat until cooked through. Have them hot with veggies, or leave the little balls to go cold like falafel, and take them to work with salad and pitta bread.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    msmancunia wrote:
    Recipe goodness

Yoink! That'll be going in the repertoire, thanks!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • bonkstrong
    msmancunia wrote:
    recipe goodness...

Oooo, that sounds like a nice way to mix things up a little. I've never made a veggie burger before and it never even crossed my mind to try!!

Thanks for sorting out my dinner arrangments for this evening! :)
  • msmancunia
    BONKSTRONG wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    recipe goodness...

Oooo, that sounds like a nice way to mix things up a little. I've never made a veggie burger before and it never even crossed my mind to try!!

Thanks for sorting out my dinner arrangments for this evening! :)

No problem! My mum used to make them when I was a teenaged angst-ridden vegetarian who occasionally went anaemic!

They are really lovely with this stuff in : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ras_el_hanout
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    msmancunia wrote:
    If you're looking to increase your intake of grains/pulses, then home-made veggie beanburgers are great, and really easy if you're in a rush, and you can make them different every time.

Use a tin of mixed beans - tescos and sainsbury's do them, and simmer until soft (don't take long).

Whizz in a food processer or blender until roughly chopped, and then add a tablespoon of tomato puree, an egg, a few breadcrumbs or cooked rice if you have it, salt and pepper, and then either say, chilli powder to make them spicy, oregano to make them Greeky, or I use that Ras al Hanout (middle eastern spices in a jar) for that Lebanese taste.

Turn out on to a floured board and shape into burgers, or little balls. Pan fry on medium heat until cooked through. Have them hot with veggies, or leave the little balls to go cold like falafel, and take them to work with salad and pitta bread.

That sounds great! Could you roll them in breadcrumbs? Or are they not sticky enough? Could they be grilled or baked?
  • aeon
    aeon Posts: 167
    nothing constructive to add, i just wanted to register my appreciation for the username BONKSTRONG.
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia wrote:

That sounds great! Could you roll them in breadcrumbs? Or are they not sticky enough? Could they be grilled or baked?

Definitely in breadcrumbs, (if not sticky enough then just add a bit of milk). Fairly sure they could be grilled or baked, probably 180ish for 15mins as the beans will have already been cooked.
  • bonkstrong
    aeon wrote:
    nothing constructive to add, i just wanted to register my appreciation for the username BONKSTRONG.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I don't eat anything I can't pronounce! :(
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)