Short Bicycle Security Product Student Questionnaire

hannisw
hannisw Posts: 3
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi,

I'm currently studying Engineering at Cambridge University and as part of some coursework I have to design a bicycle security product. 

I'd really appreciate 2mins of anyone's time to fill in this form to help me: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGdhNVI2b0VOQWI4M3ZmMm9iZTNnRkE6MQ#gid=0

Cheers,

Hannis

PS - Mods: Apologies if this is in the wrong place, I couldn't find a more suitable place in the forums to put it, please feel free to move it to a more appropriate location!

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Done. FWIW to other members: That wasn't too annoying compared to some survey questions.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, certainly one of the better surveys!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Done

*sniggers* my name is Ivor Biggun
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Done

Thinks up comedy name....

Edit: OP: I'm answering it, but this doesn't really make sense:
    On average, how often do you use a bicycle? *

Two journeys, ie to and from lectures, counts as using your bicycle twice.
    -At least once a day
    -2-6 times a week
    -Once a week
    -1-3 times a month
    -A few times a year
    If I cycle to work and back 3 times a week and then go down to the shops for a pint of milk on a saturday, then I've used the bike 8 times (4 return trips), but only used it on 4 days out of 7. Not a major fault, but thought I'd let you know.

Edit again: Also, the value of bikes and locks doesn't go high enough :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Done

Thinks up comedy name....

Edit: OP: I'm answering it, but this doesn't really make sense:
    On average, how often do you use a bicycle? *

Two journeys, ie to and from lectures, counts as using your bicycle twice.
    -At least once a day
    -2-6 times a week
    -Once a week
    -1-3 times a month
    -A few times a year
    If I cycle to work and back 3 times a week and then go down to the shops for a pint of milk on a saturday, then I've used the bike 8 times (4 return trips), but only used it on 4 days out of 7. Not a major fault, but thought I'd let you know.

Edit again: Also, the value of bikes and locks doesn't go high enough :wink:

Cheers for the feedback! I've edited both of those now.

Hannis
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Good survey, but your price bands are far too narrow! Many bikes people ride are worth thousands. I'd be tempted to go:

Sub 100
    100-300
    300-600
    600-1200
    1200-2500
    2500 plus
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    One of the better surveys that have been posted on here, but the values of the bikes are waaaaaay too low. Even as a student I was riding a £300 bike. Now that barely covers the value of my wheels and saddle.

The number of journeys still isn't quite right. If you use your bike too and from work (or uni) every day and then pop to the shops/pub, socially and for weekend rides etc that could easily add up to 15 times a week.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!