Faulty Mobile - My Rights

Mr Dog
Mr Dog Posts: 643
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
My mobile has developed a faulty screen after 39 days. The store is refusing to replace it but wants to send it back to Samsung for repair. After 60 miles and half a day off work, I'm getting a tad cross. Can anyone tell me if I'm covered by The Sale of Goods Act? The young man in the shop informs me that a repair is the best they can do as the device has memory :shock:
Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?

Comments

• Mobile manufacturers seem to take them back for repair. Vodafone sent me a replacement phone when my smart phone screen died
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If they replace the faulty screen then what's the problem? I recently had my phone (Samsung Galaxy) repaired through Vodafone. Turnaround was less than a week. Good thing about Samsung as well compared to most other manufacturers is that they offer a 24 month warranty on all phones (instead of the standard 12 months). I'd accept the repair and rest easy knowing that if anything else goes wrong with the phone over the next 23 months it'll be sorted for free.
    More problems but still living....
  • Mr Dog
    Well, firstly they agreed to replace, then changed their mind.. the phone is faulty. Whilst the device is being repaired I'm left with no phone and paying for the pleasure. :wink:
  • On the very rare occasion that one of our phones has been faulty Vodafone have ALWAYS issued a temporary phone and carried out a repair. I'd go further and say that their communication through the repair process is second to none (albeit that it's done by text, but it's still significantly better than just about any other service I've had!).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • According to Which your phone is covered by the Sale of Goods act and as such inside the first 6 months the law assume that the fault was inherent in the phone unless the retailer can prove otherwise. They are obliged to offer you a repair or refund but they can decide which they do, so it sounds like there's not much you can do other than accept their offer of a repair.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hang onto an old phone
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Mr Dog
    Thanks people. Repair it is. Will not be so hasty to recycle my old phone in future. No Strava for me then :(:(:(:(:(
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Contact the local trading standards people, 39 days seems too short to be stuck with a repair.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.