Tell me about jerseys

Foxtrot Oscar
Foxtrot Oscar Posts: 30
edited March 2012 in Road buying advice
Well with the milder weather and the imminent arrival (hopefully) of spring, I'm starting to think about my first ever cycling jersey. I'm also a bit fed up with how the saddle bag looks and would rather carry everything in jersey pockets.

So my questions are:

- What brands should I look at at a sort of value-for-money quality level? I'd guess I can spend around £50.
- Should I colour match my silver and black Specialized and will I be scorned and ridiculed unless I wear a silver and black jersey? Or should I avoid colour-matching my jersey to my frame as that looks too 'try-hard'? (Also, silver and black are a bit old school, this bike is from 2005).
- Any other tips about jersey buying, features to look for / avoid? Pics of what you think looks good and what does not might be good!

Many thanks.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Buy what you think looks good. My favourite jerseys are Castelli. Do a google of Castelli jersey and see what it throws up...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Keep a small saddle bag in use - if you come off your bike, you don't want to be unnecessarily impaling yourself on multi-tools, tyre levers and house keys.

My own personal preferences for jerseys:

Full-zip - if riding all day, it saves hassle when you need to lay cable (i.e. you can remove your jersey without stuff falling out of pockets)
    Three pockets PLUS a fourth zip security pocket in amonst that for money/phone
    Tight fit - baggy jerseys are a bit useless really, stuff in pockets will sag over your arse and bounce around whilst it won't be doing its job wicking away sweat either.
  • Ooo Castelli look good, nice simple designs (mostly) so I don't fool anyone into thinking I'll be difficult to overtake.

I like this actually, Castelli Prologo HD Jersey - 2011

v63t0.jpg

Now to decide what my signature colour scheme is going to be :p.

Graham G wrote:
    Keep a small saddle bag in use - if you come off your bike, you don't want to be unnecessarily impaling yourself on multi-tools, tyre levers and house keys.

Full-zip - if riding all day, it saves hassle when you need to lay cable (i.e. you can remove your jersey without stuff falling out of pockets)
    Tight fit - baggy jerseys are a bit useless really, stuff in pockets will sag over your ars* and bounce around whilst it won't be doing its job wicking away sweat either.

I never thought about the impaling aspect. Is that really a concern given how many other things could impale you in a crash?
  • graham_g
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Buy what you think looks good. My favourite jerseys are Castelli. Do a google of Castelli jersey and see what it throws up...

Oh yeah - that should be number one. Ignore the price and get the one that you think is the dogs - you'll definitely get loads of use then instead of it ending up stuck at the back of a drawer or relegated to turbo use :mrgreen:
  • graham_g
    Ooo Castelli look good, nice simple designs (mostly) so I don't fool anyone into thinking I'll be difficult to overtake.

I like this actually, Castelli Prologo HD Jersey - 2011

v63t0.jpg

Now to decide what my signature colour scheme is going to be :p.

Graham G wrote:

Tight fit - baggy jerseys are a bit useless really, stuff in pockets will sag over your ars* and bounce around whilst it won't be doing its job wicking away sweat either.

I never thought about the impaling aspect. Is that really a concern given how many other things could impale you in a crash?

Not a major concern but best leaving pockets for food/fuel/arm warmers/gilet/jacket whatever that will actually be needed during the course of a ride instead of accommodating emergency supplies.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Craft jerseys are great ! Not too pricey and they fit well.
    Castelli jerseys are lovely (as I've recently discovered) but you do need to size up. I'm usually a size L or XL, but I recently bought a Castelli Priviligio and had to go up to size XXXL ?!?!?!

When you buy, buy something that you like. Sounds daft, but go with your own taste rather than what you think you should wear, that way you'll get most use out of it.

Personally I like a simple design, with a hint of a retro feel about it. At the moment, this is my favorite summer jerser:

20091119-santini-retro-giro-d-italia-cima-coppi-summer-jersey.jpg

£50 will get you a good jersey, especially at the moment. Evans, JE James and some others have end of season sales still on.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • +1 on the Castelli sizing. You should probably expect to go 2 sizes up from regular clothing and 1 size up from other bike stuff. I'm a large in most normal sizing schemes. I'm an XL in Assos stuff and at least an XXL in Castelli
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • graham_g
    +1 on the Castelli sizing. You should probably expect to go 2 sizes up from regular clothing and 1 size up from other bike stuff. I'm a large in most normal sizing schemes. I'm an XL in Assos stuff and at least an XXL in Castelli

People always go on about what constitutes a L/XL etc. ....just look at their sizing chart and go by that.
  • According to the sizing chart I'm an L, and I always buy L stuff. However all of the comments on Wiggle are saying size up by one.

No great risk as I can always send one back and I'm thinking buying an L is a good incentive to slim down this summer.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I tend to keep emergency kit (inner tubes, puncture repair, pump etc.) on the bike otherwise I am bound to forget it.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    NapoleonD wrote:
    love castelli everything - great jackets too
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Have a look at prendas, they have a good selection of jerseys and will give you sizing advice if you phone them.
    They are very helpful.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    Go retro!

21299_121918.jpg

While you're at it, ditch the saddle bag and go even more retro by carrying your spare tube and levers in a plastic bag, secured under the saddle with a tatty old Alfredo Binda pedal strap. It's the only way.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'm not a big seatpack fan - having worn through expensive shorts due to the velcro straps rubbing my leg. I prefer to carry as much as possible in my jersey pockets - I have a zip-up pouch that contains a mini-tool, spare inner, tyre lever, sticky patches, chain link, money, ID and mobile. Keeps everything neatly bundled and sits firmly in my centre rear pocket. I prefer a neat fit for a jersey to minimise flapping and sagging - you don't want to look like an MTB rider ;-). I'm a big Castelli fan too and have a couple of Campagnolo jerseys also - they are sized even smaller than Castelli IME. If budget is a key consideration, also look at DHB on Wiggle, or likewise Prendas for a more timeless/ retro look that won't date as quickly.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Etxeondo do some really nice plain well fitting jerseys.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    My only concern re the illustrated jerseys in this thread is that they all have short zips. A long zip is a godsend when climbing or in hot weather. Re sizing i'm a great believer in going by manufacturers sizing charts. Every time I've gone with advice to go up a size I've ended up with loose baggy clothing. Castelli are great quality as are Assos but you do pay for the privilege with the latter!
  • ptr_
    ptr_ Posts: 126
    I love my two Specialized jerseys. I've tried various others and always end up either selling, returning or using for turbo use.

Great fit (I'm 6ft, 72kg and get a Medium), nice and thick but wick really well, full length zip to keep cool on climbs. Only thing I wish they had was a zip pocket for phone etc.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I'm not a big seatpack fan - having worn through expensive shorts due to the velcro straps rubbing my leg. I prefer to carry as much as possible in my jersey pockets - I have a zip-up pouch that contains a mini-tool, spare inner, tyre lever, sticky patches, chain link, money, ID and mobile. Keeps everything neatly bundled and sits firmly in my centre rear pocket. I prefer a neat fit for a jersey to minimise flapping and sagging - you don't want to look like an MTB rider ;-). I'm a big Castelli fan too and have a couple of Campagnolo jerseys also - they are sized even smaller than Castelli IME. If budget is a key consideration, also look at DHB on Wiggle, or likewise Prendas for a more timeless/ retro look that won't date as quickly.

Saddle bags have no place on a road bike, and are only acceptable on mountain bikes in extreme cases.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Graham G wrote:
    +1 on the Castelli sizing. You should probably expect to go 2 sizes up from regular clothing and 1 size up from other bike stuff. I'm a large in most normal sizing schemes. I'm an XL in Assos stuff and at least an XXL in Castelli

People always go on about what constitutes a L/XL etc. ....just look at their sizing chart and go by that.

How does that work out when its 'race' or 'aero' fit?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Go for what you think looks good but steer away from the all dark colour jerseys. A bit of bright colour on the top makes you far more visible to dopey motorists.

I normally have my tools in my pocket in a pouch. Not impaled myself yet.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Thats the 'cut' more than the sizing. Race/aero fit means short front, long back.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    You could try TORM http://www.torm.cc/index.html
    Sportwool for £45 with full zip available

I have a T4 and a long sleeve T5 (£50) and they are every bit as good as the Rapha equivalent they emulate.
    My only SMALL issue with them is the pockets which are a bit of a strange design.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Sorry for the slight thread hijack... Do you normally wear t-shirts under jerseys? - yes I am a noob :-)
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    depends on what you mean by 't-shirt' and the weather.

Some wear a wicking base layer in the summer to draw sweat away from the skin so that it can evaporate. If it's really hot, I just wear the jersey. In cooler weather, I might wear a merino short sleeved base layer to keep the chill off.

But.......... don't just wear a cotton T-shirt. They hang on to the moisture and just get sodden. Not nice to ride in.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I agree with Matt, avoid cotton T-shirts like the plague. Went out after work today to do some hills with a nice s/s jersey and had a thin l/s Altura (tight fitting) baselayer...combo worked great. In the summer, I haven't found the need for a s/s baselayer as a decent jersey will do all the wicking I need.