Legs

SteppenHerring
SteppenHerring Posts: 720
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
Sorry if this has been done to death.

Last year, for the first time, I decided to do the legs. OK, I may have had a couple of glasses of wine but it was the right thing to do. Picked up the wife's Bic and went for it in the bath. Total disaster. Blood, clogged razor, mess.

Tried my own Gillette Fusion jobby. Again it just clogs.

Once I'd finally got the hair off, it was easy enough to keep smooth (with the Gillette thing) but it was the initial hair removal that was the problem. The way it clogs, you could go through about £150 worth of Gillette blades (four) starting from scratch.

So after the winter, I'm back to hairy legs and need to get back down to a shaveable length. Choices seem to be:
* Suck it up and use a razor
* Use one of those scary, smelly creams
* Home waxing kit (yeah, right)
* Light spray of petrol to both legs and a lighter

The weather is warm now, I'm now commuting in shorts and I'm worried that someone from my club will spot my hairy legs and I won't be able to cope with the embarrassment. Please help!

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Sorry if this has been done to death.

Last year, for the first time, I decided to do the legs. OK, I may have had a couple of glasses of wine but it was the right thing to do. Picked up the wife's Bic and went for it in the bath. Total disaster. Blood, clogged razor, mess.

Tried my own Gillette Fusion jobby. Again it just clogs.

Once I'd finally got the hair off, it was easy enough to keep smooth (with the Gillette thing) but it was the initial hair removal that was the problem. The way it clogs, you could go through about £150 worth of Gillette blades (four) starting from scratch.

So after the winter, I'm back to hairy legs and need to get back down to a shaveable length. Choices seem to be:
    * Suck it up and use a razor
    * Use one of those scary, smelly creams
    * Home waxing kit (yeah, right)
    * Light spray of petrol to both legs and a lighter

The weather is warm now, I'm now commuting in shorts and I'm worried that someone from my club will spot my hairy legs and I won't be able to cope with the embarrassment. Please help!

if it's the cost of waxing you find prohibitive I reckon you could use those sticky backed bike decals. There'll be a job lot going on here very soon.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    You could use a trimmer to cut it all down to a shaveable length, but the 'smelly' Veet is a good option.
    I'm going in for the pro wax this trip! :shock:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • A chisel should do the job, very sharp, and if held at exactly the right angle, should be a nice smooth shave, no clogging. Failing that duck tape, very sticky and not to expensive. Won't hurt at all.
    Some people are like slinkies - not much use for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

http://knownothingbozoandhisbike.blogspot.com/
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I wax - once you've done it a few times you only end up having to do it every 6 weeks or so. Doesn't even hurt (ie sting) that much after the first couple of times - the hair ends up really fine and sparse across the leg.

If you get one of those beautician birds who come to you house to do it (use the wife getting hers done as an excuse to get her round) if you slip her an extra fiver she get her norks out or bash you off if you ask nicely.

Shaving costs too much in blades and you end up having to do it every week which is a waste of life.

Veet works but its horrible stuff - painless and does the job very well though.

If the hair gets too long, just clipper it down using hair/beard trimmers then wax/shave/Veet.

As for the club - show them the finger. What you do is up to you and not some clique bicycling club men in matching spandex. I propose you shave the top half of one leg, the bottom half of the other and let them get all angry with themselves. You then stick it in The Voigt (ie 55/11) and dish out some pain.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    I know the problem and the solution. Under the shower, scrape the razor in an upwards direction (crotchwards) and keeping the razor against the skin push the razor down before the next upstroke. The combination of the downstroke against the skin and the running water pulls the hairs out of the razor and prevents clogging.

Tomorrow: How to get those eyebrows perfectly plucked.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Wire brush and Dettol works well too, might have a bit of redness afterwards but at least you'll be antiseptically clean ;)

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Clippers / beard trimmer first.

I don't shave mine, but this just seems blindingly obvious.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    MattC59 wrote:
    Clippers / beard trimmer first.

I don't shave mine, but this just seems blindingly obvious.

i'm going to be a first time shaver this summer, and this thought did cross my mind.
  • Take the bulk off with a electric hair trimmer...

Take hot shower or bath this helps soften the skin.... less chance of nick'n ya self.. use shaving gel...and work upwards

Simple
  • boots own hair removal cream for about £2. get two bottles. takes a bit longer to grow back, and when it does it isnt rough because you've removed the whole hair instead of slicing it with a razor.
  • neilo23
    Campagnolo used to produce a razor especially for cyclists:

campag.jpg
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    neilo23 wrote:
    Campagnolo used to produce a razor especially for cyclists:

campag.jpg

What does it weigh? :wink:
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • neilo23
    I don't know exactly, but Campagnolo offered a money back guarantee to any rider who, with his newly shaved legs, didn't manage to shave a couple of seconds off his best times.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Never thought they'd be useful again but the old cut throat razor must be the razor to use because of it's non clogging characteristic.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    My missus uses an ultraviolet light zapper thing, kills off the hair follicles, and a bargain at only £450....
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    cyco2 wrote:
    Never thought they'd be useful again but the old cut throat razor must be the razor to use because of it's non clogging characteristic.

Nope - sorry: I have one in the cupboard: perfect for that special evening shave when you don't have to rush - nothing gets closer or feels nicer.

Take a lot of getting used to but once you do it properly it rocks.

Same principal as using brush and soap over can of foam/gel: foam/gel just isn't as nice.

I always feel that sometimes it nicer to forget the time constraints and complete one's ablutions correctly .....
  • pip123
    pip123 Posts: 25
    ...........and how far up the leg are you allowed/advised to go?
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    ....I use the veet or similar, then a gillette razor to clean up. Then it's just 1 or 2 shaves per week until winter sets in. I then keep the wookie look thru winter until March/April and it all starts again....
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    Jeez, I hate shaving my face, so there's no way I'm shaving my legs twice a week too. Chemicals are a no no. I would/did go the waxing route for a quality smooth finish. I like the idea of a 'home wax' and including the wife but you should match her 'bravery'. ;-)
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    I use my daughters old lady shave - full charge needed - gets a good effect and if needed mid week use an old razor .

Usually once a week does it as am not in a fashion show. I'm one of the unfortunates who have to shave - see also Michael fox in that werewolf basket ball playing picture. :(