Tirreno-Adriatico 7th to 13th March

Ron Stuart
Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
edited March 2012 in Pro race
Who do we fancy for this one looks like great parcours. Weathers warmed up and great scenery, the roads can be a bit rough though, dodgy in the wet. :)

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited March 2012
    They are lucky that Contador isnt riding. He was planning to and it would be the first time. The parcours would suit him.

He is going very well in training and has set a new record on the climb that he tests himself on.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Mods - can we have a seperate Contador sub forum until his ban has finished? :wink:

The summit finish looks very tough, so it might suit a climber more than a time triallist so it might suit the likes of Scarponi and Basso. But, for me, Evans looks the man to beat.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Indeed, even luckier that Lance Armstrong, Sean Kelly and Eddy Merckx have retired or they might have had a chance of winning as well.

Seriously though, I usually call this one wrong (think I picked EBH last year). Scarponi and Evans have gone well here in the last few years but Evans said last week at GP Lugano that his legs weren't good and I haven't seen anything of Scarponi so who knows. Nibali could be a good shout after his win in Oman?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    tab2012.png
    cartoon.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Am I rght in thinking the winner of M-SR usually comes from this race?
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    T-A is an indicator for MSR but in 2010 Cavendish was going well and sandbagged a bit, kidding guys like Boonern that he was struggling up the hills so it is a preparation race for some MSR hopefuls but not a predictor I''d say.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Am I rght in thinking the winner of M-SR usually comes from this race?

Goss rode Paris-Nice last year. But he's the first M-SR winner for some time to have not ridden Tirreno-Adriatico.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Thought so. The more I think about that Goss ride last year (lucky pozzato was hippy to Chase Gilbert) the wider that ride gets.

I'll be honest, I tend to only watch this race for MSR form and beyond. Remember when Cancellara won it?
    When Freire beat Boonen a couple years ago, I remember Boonen saying half way through T-A that he saw Friere "playing" with the pedals at the back of the race.

P-N I tend to watch as a race in its own right.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Why the Biblical reference in the poster?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Tusher wrote:

It gets promoted as the 'race of the two seas' (the two seas of the title), so that's what that represents rather than any thing biblical, I think.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Tusher wrote:

The clue is in the Title, the Stage Race divides the two seas Tirreno and Adratico and may to some mimic Moses parting of the Red Sea on his delivery of Israel out of Egypt. The race starts on one coast and finishes on the other also Italy is suppost to be a strong Catholic Nation so it kind of fits. :wink:
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762