Paris-Nice 4th to 11th March

Ron Stuart
Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
edited February 2012 in Pro race
Can Sky do it again? after a dominate showing in the Volta ao Algarve and with a similar strong team maybe they can. :)

Sky Team: Chris Froome, Christian Knees, Danny Pate, Richie Porte, Kanstantsin Siutsou, Geraint Thomas, Rigoberto Urán, Bradley Wiggins. :wink:

Comments

• Mods, can we have a SKY appreciation thread or sub forum where all these sorts of threads can be placed. Thanks.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Climbs are maybe a bit too punchy, and the TTs a little too short to suit Wiggins (and Martin) perfectly. Good that Froome is still down on the start list, despite his unexplained withdrawal from the Algarve.

Menchov should go well. Valverde and Kloden too.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    They might let Uran have a crack at it then?
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Mods, can we have a SKY appreciation thread or sub forum where all these sorts of threads can be placed. Thanks.

Whilst they're at it they should also start a Bertie, Pip and Tommy the Tongue appreciation sub forum for you.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    pat1cp wrote:
    Mods, can we have a SKY appreciation thread or sub forum where all these sorts of threads can be placed. Thanks.

Whilst they're at it they should also start a Bertie, Pip and Tommy the Tongue appreciation sub forum for you.

Surely a Tommeke thread for Rick as well :D
  • Ron Stuart

Go-Sky-Go
    418363_10150699633654524_527244523_11520214_1444694264_n.jpg

:lol:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,096
    If you don't like a thread just ignore it. It's not exactly difficult.
  • Turfle
    smithy21 wrote:
    They might let Uran have a crack at it then?

I could be wrong, but I think this is Uran's first race of the season. A couple of the finishes would definitely suit him is he is in good shape.

My guess is they'll ride for Wiggins (saving Froome as much as possible), and see what happens. Even if the course isn't perfect for him, he should still be there or thereabouts.
  • Ron Stuart
    Just a point regards Sky and the man who is best suited out of the team for the parcours. I was in the Algarve watching the Volta ao Algarve and after riding the Malhoa up mountain finish I watching Bradley lead-out Richie Porte on the climb then over the last 1.5km Ritchie took off there was no one near him at the finish. The last climb is an average of 9.2% with sections up to 13%, it's tough. Richie Porte came third in the 25.3km TT on the final day only 13secs down on Wiggo and Tony Martin; he is ultra lean now and flying. I see Sean Yates playing the two card trick with Wiggo taking all the attention and leaving Richie to do the business. :)
  • andyp wrote:

Can't disagree with that. It happens to contaminate other threads too and is pretty annoying but whatever.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    is it on tv anywhere??
    i need more bikes
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Wiggo needs to work on his explosive 30 second bursts. I reckon plan A will be for him to demonstrate what he's been working on over the close season and plan B will be whichever of Porte, Uran, Froome is strongest if any of them are significantly stronger than Wiggins.
  • Turfle
    ben16v wrote:
    is it on tv anywhere??

It is in Eurosport.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,283
    Strange how discussion of the most successful cycling team so far this season (yes, it's still early), with a BRITISH WORLD CHAMPION in its midst seems to crop up on threads on a pro-cycling forum....

Some of us remember a time before there was any cycling on TV in Britain. We fondly remember when Channel4 introduced a daily half hour highlights show during the TdF, and that it was pretty much all there was. Some of us are quite glad of a bit of British cycling success, if only because it increases our chances of seeing a bit better coverage on the box.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Frenchie, if we can ignore you constantly banging on about what a "champion" Contador is i'm sure you can ignore a few posts about Sky, after all Sky will at least be taking part in the racing in the first half of the season.

I think Wiggins may go well here, will be particularly interesting to see how he does in the Col d"eze TT. Sky could do well having two cards to play with Porte and Wiggins.

Personally i'm interested in how Valverde will do in his first grown up race since his return. He's a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, clearly as dirty as they come (at least in the past) but he is an exciting rider.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Frenchie, if we can ignore you constantly banging on about what a "champion" Contador is i'm sure you can ignore a few posts about Sky, after all Sky will at least be taking part in the racing in the first half of the season.

I think Wiggins may go well here, will be particularly interesting to see how he does in the Col d"eze TT. Sky could do well having two cards to play with Porte and Wiggins.

Personally i'm interested in how Valverde will do in his first grown up race since his return. He's a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, clearly as dirty as they come (at least in the past) but he is an exciting rider.

:lol:

:wink:
  • inkyfingers
    I know, I know! I actually removed a comparison of Valverde and Contador from that final paragraph because I knew a smart arse would pick up on it!

As i've said before, I don't have a problem with Frenchie's crush on Contador, just the way he dismisses anybody elses opinions and interests if they aren't aligned with his.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Strange how discussion of the most successful cycling team so far this season (yes, it's still early), with a BRITISH WORLD CHAMPION in its midst seems to crop up on threads on a pro-cycling forum....

Some of us remember a time before there was any cycling on TV in Britain. We fondly remember when Channel4 introduced a daily half hour highlights show during the TdF, and that it was pretty much all there was. Some of us are quite glad of a bit of British cycling success, if only because it increases our chances of seeing a bit better coverage on the box.

Well said!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

Please put a spoiler alert in the thread if you're going to post stuff like this.
    Some of us have recorded all the races so far and are yet to watch the action.

You've RUINED it for me :evil: :evil: :evil:

:wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,530

As i've said before, I don't have a problem with Frenchie's crush on Contador, just the way he dismisses anybody elses opinions and interests if they aren't aligned with his.

Isn't that what the internet is for? After all, everyone's wrong apart from you ;).
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    andyp wrote:

Can't disagree with that. It happens to contaminate other threads too and is pretty annoying but whatever.
    You seriously have a complete self-awareness bypass don't you :)
  • inkyfingers

Isn't that what the internet is for? After all, everyone's wrong apart from you ;).

I've often felt that i'm too rational and sympathetic to other peoples opinions to be a really successful forum poster :wink:
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    Back to the race, its one of the ones I look forward to most. First decent stage race of the year, still considered the 2nd biggest stage race in France even though the Dauphine Libere (or whatever it’s called now) has gained prestige as a TDF warm up.

Love seeing a different side to France, barren landscapes & leafless trees in place of sunflower fields & newly harvested fields of wheat. Racing is generally not bad too so bring it on!
  • Can't wait - fly out to Nice on Saturday then have a week of cycling before catching the last two stages.

Got to toddle up the Col d'Eze this time though - let's hope the weathers better than last year.