What are you wearing...

Donatello
Donatello Posts: 20
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

New member and I have been reading the forum for a little while now. Had a Mongoose Fireball when I was about 14 and haven't done ANY MTB'ing for about 4/5 years now. Looking to get back into it and I am on the hunt for a decent-ish HT for no more than £600.

My biggest concern though isn't the bike! I genuinely have no idea what to wear. I will start of doing alot of road biking until I get into the feel again and will then try and find some local areas for very basic trails, slowly building to some day trips etc..

Sooo... In a non-pervy way... what are you wearing???

Comments

• EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    twinkBikers.jpg
  • I said non-pervy, that included any weird games you like to play!
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    Nothing pervy about that! Are you prejudiced? :lol:

Baggy shorts and t-shirts with a pair of skate shoes. Padded liner under the baggies. It should go without saying that you'll need a helmet and want gloves, but you never know. Anyway, that should be enough to get you started. Worry about wicking layers and specific kit once you're into it, and not just spunking your cash away to look the part.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Yep, same as above - for me, usually 3/4 lengths (Endura humvees, Altura Attacks), thin tee (Fox or Sombrio are my main ones), padded shorts (a must!)

Also, screw the roads, get out on some fireroads, towpaths etc.. you'll get more of a feel for being off road and it saves fighting with cars ;)

As for a HT for about £600, you could get a lot 2nd hand by checking the classifieds on here, Pauls Cycles always seem to have good deals and the Boardman, Voodoo and Carrera ranges @Halfords offer some good kit for the cash too (which could save you money to get the clothing too) :)

Welcome to BR, and welcome back, by the way.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Baggies (waterproof if you can), cycling shoes (SPD's for me), base layer T-shirt and Motorcross top.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Stav wrote:
    Yep, same as above - for me, usually 3/4 lengths (Endura humvees, Altura Attacks), thin tee (Fox or Sombrio are my main ones), padded shorts (a must!)

Also, screw the roads, get out on some fireroads, towpaths etc.. you'll get more of a feel for being off road and it saves fighting with cars ;)

As for a HT for about £600, you could get a lot 2nd hand by checking the classifieds on here, Pauls Cycles always seem to have good deals and the Boardman, Voodoo and Carrera ranges @Halfords offer some good kit for the cash too (which could save you money to get the clothing too) :)

Welcome to BR, and welcome back, by the way.

I have seen a rather nice 2nd hand bike in the classifieds, Saracen Zen 3, looks really nice but I know nothing about anything.

I'm sure I have most of the gear, some eye wear, helmet and gloves are what I shall find then. Seen some shoes too so thats 4 to start with.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Fairly random collection of layers from TK Maxx/Sports Direct, quality liners if it's a sitting down ride, lightweight baggies, best helmet you can afford, unobtrusive gloves/shoes and eye protection from B&Q.

Combine with some body armour if you find yourself in the habit of smearing off trees and using your limbs as brakes.
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    Also, if you're whippet thin short-arse or a giant porky mess, you can usually get clothes at clearance prices on Chain Reaction. If you're really lucky, you may even find something in a medium.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    try to avoid cotton where ever you can, the T shirts most people are probably referring to will be a breathable poly. Get a few of these, one a little larger than the other, and a soft shell which is sort of like a very soft thick plasticy material. Water-resistant, very warm, pretty light. I love em so much I've three that I interchange depending on the weather. you can get them cheap from decathalon.
  • *snip*
    *forgot I wasn't in the crudcatcher for a minute there*
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Lycra bibshorts, road jersey. Done. Apply base layer/gilet/leg warmers/knee warmers/arm warmers as appropriate.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    njee20 wrote:
    Lycra bibshorts, road jersey. Done. Apply base layer/gilet/leg warmers/knee warmers/arm warmers as appropriate.

However, for those of us with a bit of a gut (O Hai!), this may not be the best look... hence why I wear baggies :lol: