Forest of Dean: Wild camping Spots?

mfereborn
mfereborn Posts: 480
edited March 2012 in Routes
Hi Guys, i know this is a little off topic but I'm looking to spend 2 days riding the forest of dean and I'm wanting to wild camp there but not being from around the area i dont have a clue where would be suitable.

the idea is for myself and a few mates to drive over and wild camp in the forest on the first night, ride the first day, camp the night and then ride the following day.

Only criteria really is that we wont be disturbed as the dates planned will be a saturday night and sunday night. Camp wont stay during the day.

So, is there anywhere you guys would suggest? Either PM me or post here - i know some sites may be little gems and secrets!

I'd rather avoid campsites if i can you see!
The Frog: Lapierre Zesty 214 2010 - Upgraded - W.I.P

Comments

• mfereborn
    Just digging this up for future reference of others.

Just finished a cycling expedition as part of my degree and we ended up spending a night camping just beyond the main carpark in the woods, we walked up a wee footpath to the brow of a small hill/spoil heap and camped in the woods.

Not ideal for ground level camping but we were in hammocks so it was fine for us.

Would certainly do this again as it meant we had parking spots reserved for the following day!
  • Heya, well I know the Forest of Dean pretty well, be careful camping without permission as I've been caught once and was a right pain, forestry commission are hot on that around there and also Symonds Yat woodlands.

If you want a really good base for riding some awesome trails, I'd look at Symonds Yat. This Symonds Yat campsite is quiet and well equiped, pretty safe too as it's out the way of prying eyes. No good for a loud lads night though. Also about four really great pubs within walking distance, the Saracens Head Inn (hand drawn ferry across the river), Wye Knott Inn (up some steps behind the site), Olde Ferry Inn on the river and the Old Court. All do food to varying standards. Also canoing and climbing near by.

The routes around Symonds Yat alone are superb, but can be a little dangerous with some hidden drops and very steep descents as it's a gorge with the river wye running through it. From here you can cross the river at the Biblins rope bridge and embark on either a journey up into the forests of dean or down the wye valley to monmouth and into tintern, again with some awesome quiet routes. Forest of dean itself is pretty immense and so many routes up there, some documented others not so much. If you want a bit more freedom camping there's a site top of Yat Rock.
  • mfereborn
    Can i also recommend to members to try the Globe pub whilst you're in the FOD.

Brilliant food at great prices and i have never been anywhere so friendly!