Hill Climbs around Coventry/Warwickshire

skyblueamateur
skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Could anyone recommend some good hills/climbs/hill routes around the Coventry/Warwickshire area? Thanks.

Comments

• Head out towards Napton, Avon Dasset and the like. Few decent hills around there but nothing partivularly long if that's what you're after. You'll need to head further south into the Cotswolds if you fancy anything more challenging.
  • Much appreciated. Thanks a lot.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I used to live near Edge Hill a good 10 years ago.. just looked it up on strava and there is a mile long Cat 4 climb at each end.

http://app.strava.com/segments/641401 edge hill climb at one end
    http://app.strava.com/segments/848918 sunrising hill climb at the other end.

(google maps link in case you don't have strava -> http://g.co/maps/pthsh that routedoesn't quite take in the whole length of both climbs though.)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I lived in Warwick/Leamington about 25 years ago and I used to ride down via Southam, Fenny Compton, Bourton Dasset and over to Edge Hill and Sun Rising Hill - bit trickier now that the M40 is in the way - but do remember a club ride where we Team Time Trialled up the M40 from Banbury to Leamington one Sunday morning (before they opened the road)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    dovers and saintbury are sort of nearish, two cotswold climbs used for the national hillclimb in the past.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    +1 for Edge hill... a piece of history of this country and a beautiful road to climb... the B4086 from Kineton is the better side, while the A422 is a busier road...
    you can include it in a circuit around the Sustrand cycling route N 5, which is an amazing route in my view
    left the forum March 2023
  • Forgot to mention Edge Hill, but then if you're out my Avon/Bourton Dasset, you only need hop over the M40 and your there.
  • There are a few steepish hills, but I haven't found anything that's long in the area. The Napton-Daventry area is probably about as good as it gets on my routes south-east of Coventry.
  • outcastjack
    outcastjack Posts: 237
    A45 from Braunston up into Daventry is the longest non-stop hill I have been able to find, although much of it isn't at all steep.

Newnham Hill (the other side of Daventry) is used by Rugby RC as a hill climb for their final tt of the season
  • Border Cyclist
    Border Cyclist Posts: 1,279
    peejay78 wrote:
    dovers and saintbury are sort of nearish, two cotswold climbs used for the national hillclimb in the past.
    Also just into the Cotswolds is the hill out of Ilmington.
  • turboslave
    turboslave Posts: 178
    As mentioned there are some tough short and steep climbs running along the edge of the Cotswolds, of you want to make the trip worthwhile come over and start in Mickleton, climb up towards Chipping Campden, at the T junction turn right dropping down Aston bank taking a left to Weston subedge and turn left up Divers hill, turn right at the crossroads then take the next right fork at about a mile, at next crossroads turn right and drop down saintbury turning left at bottom then onto mini roundabout at Willersey, left at rabout taking you up the village taking a left when the road bends right, climb Willersey hill to crossroads where you descended earlier, turn right up to junction then right and descend Fish hill, at round about turn left to Broadway, turn right at mini round about and descend village turning left at the green and climb Snowshill, from here you can take a left back to Broadway Tower and descend all the way back to Mickleton or turn right and descend Stanway to the rabout where you can get refreshments, then retrace you ride taking in all the climbs and descents bit this time inthe opposite direction, if you do this I recommend you go strait up through Broadway village on the old road bringing you out around half way up Fish hill. It's about 50 miles from Mickleton and back maybe less but there is very little recovery between the climbs and this makes it tough. Very scenic esp in May when the blossom appears. Includes 3 National Hill climbs.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/72766908/?open_ive_done=1&new_route=1

Enjoy
  • turboslave
    turboslave Posts: 178
    Link to Mapmyride of the route added, also Larkstoke is probably one of the longest and hardest climbs in the area, this along with Hidcote could easily be added to the above route once dropping back into Mickleton, not for the faint hearted, I should also mention that the above route has a get out of jail route running along the top and bottom of the climbs.

If anyone rides this let us know how you get on, its tough and a low average speed wil be recorded so allow enough time.

Enjoy

Dave
  • skyblueamateur
    I think that ride might be a bit much for myself at the minute. Thanks though. I'll look at doing some of those hills as part of a shorter ride :oops:

Thanks for all the advise. I'll definitely be taking in some of these hills 8)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I once rode a hill climb up Edge Hill - I'd been out clubbing the night before, literally got home, got on my bike and rode out from Leamington. Many of the keener riders had driven over - still managed to finish top-5 with a raging hang-over. The following week, the club-ride rode out to Illmington and Fish Hill and people were winding-it-up for the climbs - completely pissed-off the winner of the previous week's event by dropping him on the climbs - he was not best-pleased!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    Revive the thread :mrgreen:

Having done my 1st trip to Edge and Avon Dassett hills a week back, there for sure a decent test

dovers hill and even the other hill from Aston subedge towards Chipping Camden are a good leg tester, as said Willesley hill is brutal only ever been down it thanks god

the best play area is around Maxstoke, Fillongley, Hurley, Grendon Boot hill you can ride around and find plenty of lumps but no edge hills about, but you get decent leg burners if ridden in the higher gears
  • skyblueamateur
    the best play area is around Maxstoke, Fillongley, Hurley, Grendon Boot hill you can ride around and find plenty of lumps but no edge hills about, but you get decent leg burners if ridden in the higher gears

Although no Edge Hill as you say, Greenend Lane in Maxstoke is a test. Have you got any routes you'd recommend mate?
  • jagx400
    jagx400 Posts: 132
    PMed you my route, shows my address so didnt want it on view. Nice route and not too demanding
  • jagx400
    jagx400 Posts: 132
    And it takes in the above mentioned hills