Trance X4 or Stumpjumper?

wideboy
wideboy Posts: 206
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi ive been looking around for a while and got it down to these two, just wondering your thoughts on the two are and which one you would you go for?

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Stu ... =Froogle02

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... &vid=12557

Comments

• barbs
    barbs Posts: 16
    Am interested to see what advice you get to your post as im not sure whether to go for the trance x4 2011, anthem x4 2011 or Specialized camber elite 2011!! hopefully we can both be helped!! :-)
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    big difference in price, spec and fork travel there, the stumpy wins hands down, suspensions in a different league from that on the trance
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    To compare like for like you should consider the Trance X3. Upgraded suspension, brakes and drivetrain. I have just bought an X3 and think it rides superbly. Very similar in feel to my brothers new stumpy elite for a lot less cash. I have come from a 150mm travel enduro and I am amazed at how the Trance handles the rough stuff and carries so much speed. Both are very capable bikes but long term the stumpy will probably handle bigger drops and hits due to its increased travel. The advice (as usual) would be get a test ride on each and see which feels best for you. Either way I doubt you'll be disappointed. :)
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • andymc06
    Oh, if you can't find the X3 I would agree with the above. Of the two you have listed the Stumpy is better. :roll:

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • wideboy
    andymc06 wrote:
    Oh, if you can't find the X3 I would agree with the above. Of the two you have listed the Stumpy is better. :roll:

Yes i wanted to try out the X3 but my lbs didnt have any i stock got a ride on the X4 though, Im hoping to test out a stumpy this coming weekend.
  • chez_m356
    andymc06 wrote:
    X3 http://www.ashcycles.com/site/giant-tra ... 7b652f83ad limited sizes though
  • wideboy
    thats the best price ive seen for the X3 my lbs wanted £1600,that brings it inline with the specialized, ok Trance X3 or stumpy???
  • Inetresting 2 to compare Trance is 120mm travel (rear anyway) and Stumpjumper is 140mm. Different sort of bikes riding-wise I would imagine. The Camber would be more comparable, in fact this month's MBR did just that.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Trance has shorter travel but will handle everything as well as the stumpy. Suspension travel doesn't count for a lot.
    I have owned a Trance X3 & ridden a Stumpy for a week. I prefered the Trance.
    The Trance is pretty light & absolutely solid, a few of Giants team freeriders have even used them as slopestyle bikes.
  • andymc06
    The Trance is noted for the fact it performs like a longer travel bike. I think they are excellent but then I'm a little biased!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    140mm travel is fine but the trance handles like a 140mm bike! try and ride both, Giants are quite small frames, I ride a medium Reign and I'm 5'11 but I like it chuckable.

Great bike I'd go Giant..
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    Another totaly biased vote for the Trance.
  • chez_m356
    don't think you could go wrong with either, maybe it will come down to which one you think is the better looking........ a totally unbiased view from a canyon rider :lol:
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Suspension travel doesn't count for a lot.

Well, that's not quite true is it, all depends on what you're riding over.

It counts for quite a lot, but it isn't the only factor in determining how a bike handles, a 100mm vs 160mm will make a difference based on extremely rugged terrain.
  • 1mancity2 wrote:
    140mm travel is fine but the trance handles like a 140mm bike! try and ride both, Giants are quite small frames, I ride a medium Reign and I'm 5'11 but I like it chuckable.

Great bike I'd go Giant..

Interesting, I am possibly interested in a trance as I am looking for a 120mm travel bike/frame. Given what you are saying then maybe the trance might be too long travel feeling for my liking, and possibly my 120mm Reba fork would be a bit short travel for it?