Any HR Experts Out There ?

Dog Breath
Dog Breath Posts: 314
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Recently, our HR dept sent round a form to complete in order to update our personnel details. Amongst the details being asked were 'Ethnicity' & 'Religion'. I refused to answer these and just put 'Not Relevant' by both, as they are completely irrelevent to me doing my job.

Since then, they have introduced a new on-line HR sytem where we can log holidays, view absenses, job descriptions etc. But while checking my personal details, as well as the above 'ethnicity' & 'religion' items (both of which were blank on my details), there was an additional field headed 'Sexual Orientation'.

I was utterly gobsmacked when I saw this and I really want to question the legallity of them even considering this type of information as being something that the company should have an interest in. Just how much personal information can an employer justifiably ask from someone?

Any views or information on this matter would be appreciated

Cheers
DB
Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
Planet X London Road Disc
Planet X RT80 Elite

Comments

• nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I think they can ask it (as they may legitimately wish to monitor such things as part of diversity or equal ops research), but I don't think you can be obliged to answer.

Having said that it's supposed to be treated as sensitive so it seems a bit questionable that it's right there in their HR database instead of independently collected and anonymised.
  • I would be totally offended by these questions. I agree with you that the info does not pertain to the work you do. So sad!
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Yeah they can ask but you're not obliged to complete. They're not allowed to use it in decision making about you and should have made that clear. They're quite possibly required to monitor the information to record equal ops stuff.

Civil Service policy example: http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/wp-conte ... -35801.pdf

They should be able to articulate their policy and procedures for handling that information, and should be happy to do so. Ultimately they need to be able to show how the information they ask for is necessary and proportionate for their needs (e.g. they need to know your bank details but don't need to know the balance), so if you doubt that ask. However, it is probably just a requirement for them to monitor and you'll find a "prefer not to say" option quite clearly there too.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    they'll need to monitor for diversity reasons. you dont need to answer.

when tendering for large contracts we often need to provide our diversity figures. Its meant to be a positive thing - to show we're not all white straight lads. Not thats there anything wrong with being a white straight lad... you must understand.
  • As a duo-semi-ambulant, Chinese-jewish, Muslim, gay, post-op trans-sexual I think it is important to monitor such things and to ensure my organisation is free of prejudice through positive discrimination.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    As a duo-semi-ambulant, Chinese-jewish, Muslim, gay, post-op trans-sexual I think it is important to monitor such things and to ensure my organisation is free of prejudice through positive discrimination.
    Hmmm...so you're not a lactose intolerant vegan?

Get out of here you hate-mongering fascist!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Dog Breath wrote:
    Recently, our HR dept sent round a form to complete in order to update our personnel details. Amongst the details being asked were 'Ethnicity' & 'Religion'. I refused to answer these and just put 'Not Relevant' by both, as they are completely irrelevent to me doing my job.

Since then, they have introduced a new on-line HR sytem where we can log holidays, view absenses, job descriptions etc. But while checking my personal details, as well as the above 'ethnicity' & 'religion' items (both of which were blank on my details), there was an additional field headed 'Sexual Orientation'.

I was utterly gobsmacked when I saw this and I really want to question the legallity of them even considering this type of information as being something that the company should have an interest in. Just how much personal information can an employer justifiably ask from someone?

Any views or information on this matter would be appreciated

Cheers
    DB
    You don't need to be an expert to see that your HR department is a waste of oxygen - nothing new there then :-)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]