Public transport and an increase in colds

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
I've now had at least 3 perhaps 4 colds so far in 2012, the only change to my routine over the last 5 years has been a switch from SWT to FGW, most mornings and evenings the coughing and sneezing is so bad i have to listen to music just to drown out the noise, i also notice that FGW have the aircon blasting cold from Reading to the point where i need a jacket.

Do more sick people travel on FGW than SWT or is it something to do with the air quality venting on that service?

Also FGW is always over crowded packed in standing room only.
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,663
    Air conditioning

Air conditioning itself may contribute to infection with common cold viruses. The lining of the nose is covered with a thin layer of mucus which protects against infection. Since air conditioners extract moisture from the air they may cause some drying of the protective mucous blanket in the nose and predispose to infection. The cold air may also help viruses to establish a hold in the nose as they reproduce better in a cold nose.

So, yes, excessive A/C won't help.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition