Transition Covert 2011 Build

ralph1471
ralph1471 Posts: 92
edited October 2012 in Your mountain bikes
This is my covert which I built up about a month ago, was going to do a build thread but it had to be built quickly as my last frame snapped, so ended up giving it to the LBS to build (I know, I cheated). I seem to get a lot of comments and questions about it on the trails so thought i would post it anyway. It was built up on a budget as I got the frame at a bargain price, so there are some lower specced parts on it from my old bike but it rides beautifully. Next purchases will be a reverb seatpost, mission control dampers for the forks, some pedals that spin properly and a shorter mech.

Spec is -

Transition Covert Medium 2011
Lyrik Coil R fork
Hope pro 2 Evo hubs with ZTR Flow rims, with 10mm bolt through rear axle.
SLX drivetrain with XT Casette
Formula ORO 160/180mm
Thompson elite X4 50m stem
Nukeproof 760mm Bars
Hope Headset
Wellgo MG-1 Pedals

Photo25-02-2012165811.jpg
Photo25-02-2012165839.jpg
Photo25-02-2012165856.jpg
This last one is before the rear axle upgrade so excuse the shitty qr skewer
Photo07-01-2012144629.jpg

Comments

• Great build, love the look of the covert's, transition seem a v.good professional company with a good range of bikes, the specs not that bad at all considering you were on a budget, if i had the money for an upgrade from my heckler this would be the bike i'd purchase. enjoy riding it 8)
  • cheers, I got the wheels second hand but hardly used, and the frame from someone who had changed his mind after buying it and never built it up, so that kept the cost down considerably. I love the look of them, only complaint would be that the paint seems to be wearing on the top tube already from my knee pads, only about 6 rides in! need to get some more heli tape.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Love it! Are those yellow lyrik decals custom or normal? Never seen them before
  • They were OEM lyriks from a marin, bought them in hardly used condition from someone who had replaced them with 36's. I assume that the decals were specific to the marin they were sold with, look nice though!
  • eyalsv
    eyalsv Posts: 1
    Nice build!

Love the Covert, amazing and fun bike IMO. Following my build:
    -2012 frame with full XO kit
    -Fox Talas 36 160 Kashima 2012
    -Industry Nine Enduro wheels (rear axle is 142x12)
    -RaceFace Turbine 60mm stem
    -Answer Protapper AM Carbon 720mm bar
    -RS Reverb seatpost (not in the pictures)
  • ralph1471
    Thanks! Your pictures aren't working though?
  • a reverb on that would make it a stupendous earth munching machine very nice! My lbs have 2 of the 2012 covert frames with the fox kashima shocks hung up in the showroom one blue & the other black, makes my wallet heat up everytime I see them! How I wish I could afford one! :cry:
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    nice build mate. I've been drooling over the Transition website recently, they do know how to make some nice bikes.

Any idea how much that thing weights?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Very nice build.
    Only change I would make is to put a mission control damper in those Lyriks, I just put one in the Lyrik R on my Reign and it makes them massively better, stops them diving & blowing through the travel, basically makes it a Lyrik RC2DH with a slightly lower spec rebound damper.
  • ralph1471
    Sorry Guys, forgot to check back!
    eyalsv wrote:
    Nice build!

That is possibly the nicest covert build I have seen! lovely. It only seems to let me view the pics when I am logged out though which is odd.
    Very nice build.
    Only change I would make is to put a mission control damper in those Lyriks, I just put one in the Lyrik R on my Reign and it makes them massively better, stops them diving & blowing through the travel, basically makes it a Lyrik RC2DH with a slightly lower spec rebound damper.

Yeah it is on the list, how much did it cost to have that done? My wallet wont appreciate it this month though as i have just bought a reverb for it!
    jairaj wrote:
    nice build mate. I've been drooling over the Transition website recently, they do know how to make some nice bikes.

Any idea how much that thing weights?

Im not sure what it weighs, seems pretty light to me but I will weigh her in and let you know.
  • ralph1471
    eyalsv, how tall are you out of interest? was wondering how you find it with such a low stack on the front (as you are riding a medium as well)? I am six foot and I have tried dropping the front recently, it felt great on the road but scared the sh** out of me on steeper trails. I wasnt sure if I just need to get used to it or if I am too big to get away with it.
  • ralph1471
    I have weighed her and she comes in at 32lbs. (and she is about to get weighed down by a reverb). Its not too bad I suppose considering what it is capable of! Heres a clearer picture Transition.png
  • DomN86
    DomN86 Posts: 112
    eyalsv wrote:
    Nice build!

pics not showing :cry:
    GIANT YUKON FX2 - http://goo.gl/xtIfv.
  • ralph1471
    ScreenShot2012-04-04at234809.png DomN86 heres a screenshot of them
  • DomN86
    DomN86 Posts: 112
    ^

Thanks Mate. Nice bike; prefer the black colour, not a fan of white.
    GIANT YUKON FX2 - http://goo.gl/xtIfv.
  • Thought I would update the thread now as she has had quite a lot of upgrades since I posted this. It is now much closer to how I wanted it to be, although still slightly heavier than I would like at 32.5 lbs.

since last update -

Shimano XT brakes with 180mm rotors f+r
    Rockshox Lyrik Air RC2DH
    Rockshox Reverb
    XT med cage mech
    Nukeproof pedals
    Maxxis super tacky single ply 2.35 high roller

It is now bloody awesome to ride. The reverb has been brilliant and I couldnt go back to riding without one.

Any suggestions for removing weight without spending a small fortune on her? I already changed the forks which knocked off a bit but the XT brakes and the reverb added a few grams!

IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_2145.jpg
  • lovely bike...where were those photos taken?
  • Thanks! Taken at Swinley forest this weekend.