new hubs for new wheels :)

ozzy1000
ozzy1000 Posts: 73
edited February 2012 in Road buying advice
hi all,
I'm thinking about building a new pair of wheels (tubs). I want to compromise ever so slightly on wieght for stiffness, and hardcore'ness, I love the solid rollin' feeling of well made stiff wheels... Ideally I want royce hubs on 50mm chinesse carbon rims, probably 24/28 spokes.... but.. i don't think i can stretch to royce hubs :( my second choice is hope pro3 mono's (or whateverr they're called?), a long time ago I built some XC wheels with hope hubs and they were truly lovely....

what are peoples thoughts about recent hope hubs?? also they only seem to do 28/28 holes, which means i'd be carrying an extra 20+gms! (FYI!! OMG!! WTF!!) worth of spokes.. let alone the wind resistence of 4 extra spokes!!!! god forbid!.... obvious sarcasm aside; does anyone have any opinion on this? 28 hole seems excessive on the frount these days, but I guess it would be solid. what other hubs have people tried around this price range??

I reckon I can make sweet wheels for about;

hope pro3 mono frount £54
hope pro3 mono rear £130
2 x 50mm rims from ysbike (free postage) £184
spokes + nipples + any hidden extras £65

total = £433 or thereabouts

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Hope hubs are great - reliable, fairly light and great backup if anything goes wrong. If you do want a 24h front, try ebay. Search "light road hub" or something like that, theres quite a few sellers selling cheap hubs. Afterall, a front hub is just a tube with 2 bearings in it, what can possibly go wrong!

Also, where are you sourcing the spokes? actionsports.de sell them at 50pence per piece if thats any cheaper for you?
  • 28/28 on 50mm carbon rims is going to be seriously stiff! I have a set of 50mm 20/24s and this is the stiffest wheelset I own (I'm ~75kg).

Otherwise Hope hubs are great (I also own a set) and tremendous value - you can spend more money and get a wider choice of quality hubs (PMP at ~£250 are the next best bet and do a range of drillings), or go cheaper & direct from Hong Kong (check out Circus Monkey on ebay, no direct experience, but they'll do whatever drillings you like and the hubs are light).

Although spoke count has the potential to make the most impact on stiffness, be aware that stiffness also comes from hub geometry, lacing pattern, and choice of spokes. Also bearing size/location on the axle itself can have an impact, particularly with rear hubs (though this is minor compared to the other factors).