ouch

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Watching police interceptors on channel 5 just now. There was an incident on the M1 where the bike roof rack came off a car and the police were picking up the debris.

They talked to the woman driving the car, one bike was worth 4k (not entirely sure I heard that right) and the other was worth 1k.

Ouch!!

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I was trying to ID the bike from the bit of crank that was left.

£5.5k gone, thanks to a dodgy roofbar....I wonder who fitted them?!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    From my watching of the program all was covered on insurance apart from the bikes. A claim against the place that fitted the roof-rack?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    4.5k on a mountain big.

Why would you even...

Anyway, yeah I watched it. The lady who lost the bikes took it well.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bails87
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    4.5k on a mountain big.

Why would you even...

Because there's more technology in them than a £4.5k road bike!

Here's me on what was probably a £4k+ bike this weekend: 410952_552704052381_289000003_1481334_1479453368_o.jpg

Very nice it was too.
    MTB/CX

• DonDaddyD
    Justify the notion that there is more technology in them.

Looks ugly. :lol:joke

I thought you were black... :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You're joking, right?

Have to say I'm probably enjoying MTBing more than road stuff right now, although I'm still a big scaredy-cat.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Some years ago a woman of my acquaintance (sister + wife of two of two of my pals) drove the car into a car park with a max height barrier across the entrance, forgetting about the two expensive road bikes on the roof. Whoops. Insurance paid out without a murmur apparently.
  • DonDaddyD
    davis wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You're joking, right?

Nope, my last mountain bike was a Barracuda Snakebite:

106447772.jpg

barracuda01.jpg

I did have a Giant Escape M2 but that was more hybrid with a mountain bike frame and rigid fork. You wouldn't take it off roading. I know very little about mountain bikes.
    Food Chain number = 4

• jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    DDD,

technology on MTB's - everything that there is on a road bike plus suspension and hydraulic brakes. No?

J
  • bails87
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Do MTBs have frames, wheels, bars, gears etc the same as road bikes? yep.

Do road bikes have front and rear suspension with high and low speed compression damping and multiple stage rebound damping? Nope.

Do road bikes have hydraulic dropper seatpost? Nope.

Hydraulic brakes? Not right now, but on the horizon, they might catch up one day :wink:

Are road bike frames developed to take impacts from massive great rocks? Don't think so, MTB carbon often has kevlar added where it's needed.
    Looks ugly. :lol:joke:lol:
    I thought you were black... :shock:
    My dad is :wink:
    MTB/CX

• DonDaddyD
    jedster wrote:
    DDD,

technology on MTB's - everything that there is on a road bike plus suspension and hydraulic brakes. No?

J

I would argue that Mountain bikes don't have the same technological focus on weight, areodynamics and lateral, tension/torsion stiffness that road bikes have. The shifting technology is different as well and so follows their own path of development.

I'm not saying that mountain bikes have less technology developed for them compared to road bikes, just different areas of technology.

Yes suspension and braking would seem to be key areas of focus for mountain bikes that road bikes don't get and get less off, respectively
    Food Chain number = 4

• bails87
    MTB doesn't pay much attention to aerodynamics, but it doesn't need to. Same with suspension, road bikes obviously don't need it.

Road and MTB gears are exactly the same. You push a lever and it pulls some cable. Apart from Di2, of course.
    MTB/CX

• suzyb
    bails87 wrote:
    MTB doesn't pay much attention to aerodynamics, but it doesn't need to. Same with suspension, road bikes shouldn't need it but often do due to the state of the roads.

Road and MTB gears are exactly the same. You push a lever and it pulls some cable. Apart from Di2, of course.
    FTFY
  • redvee wrote:
    From my watching of the program all was covered on insurance apart from the bikes. A claim against the place that fitted the roof-rack?

I wondered if it was Halfrauds that fitted it.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    jedster wrote:
    DDD,

J

I would argue that Mountain bikes don't have the same technological focus on weight, areodynamics and lateral, tension/torsion stiffness that road bikes have. The shifting technology is different as well and so follows their own path of development.

Maybe not aero but everything else yes as there are a lot more forces pushing through from dropping off ridges jumps etc etc as for weight of course there is the development race to lighten things while keeping the strength and stiffness. The last thing you want on the rear suspension arm or anywhere else is lack of torsional stiffness as you land while screaming down a bit of trail inbetween tree trunks...

I'm not saying that mountain bikes have less technology developed for them compared to road bikes, just different areas of technology.

It's the same tech just focused in different areas, there is no less tech or dev in an XC/enduro/downhill mountain bike than there is in a road bike, full stop

Yes suspension and braking would seem to be key areas of focus for mountain bikes that road bikes don't get and get less off, respectively
  • suzyb
    redvee wrote:

I wondered if it was Halfrauds that fitted it.
    That was my thought when the woman mentioned the "shop" just fitted it that day. Their reputation really does precede them :wink:
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,988
    bails87 wrote:
    Bangs head repeatedly against wall.
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:
    Bangs head repeatedly against wall.
    ? :lol:

Ok, that's not why you would spend that much money, but it's why you could. You 'would' for the same reason as you 'would' spend that much on a road bike. Because you want to, because it's better than a cheaper one.

Also, Shimano XTR Di2 electronic MTB drivetrain spotted? looks like I was wrong and MTBs are getting electronic shifting too.
    MTB/CX

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I would definitely agree there is more technology on a mountain bike than a road bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    bails87 wrote:
    Here's me on what was probably a £4k+ bike this weekend: 410952_552704052381_289000003_1481334_1479453368_o.jpg
    Cannock? Can't Id where mind! thinking the last section on tother side of road!

My £415 bike just after getting back from a mudfest round Cov with a quick sponge down temporary-4.jpg

Even that has air sprung forks plus the complex air controlled SPV compression damping, adjustable rebound damping....most of the rest is just normal practice for road bikes except hydraulic brakes.

I would say there is less TECHNOLOGY in road bikes, making things lighter rarely requires technology now, just an application of known 'better' materials in more and more areas of the bike, it all depends on what you define as technology of course, being able to weld titanium used to be high technology, now it just requires the application of known techniques - is it still technology, or not?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    It's not my bike! I wish it was, but I was on a demo day organised by the chaps at Leisure Lakes in Wolverhampton.

It's on the section of FTD after crossing the road and going through Tackeroo campsite, there's a couple of drops/rollers halfway down and the photographer was hiding in the bushes after the first one!
    MTB/CX

• DonDaddyD
    So let me get this right. The application of making things lighter means less technology in put on the bike. It doesn't mean less technology used to find out how to make the bike lighter.

Furthermore the only thing I can see on a mountain bike that is different is the suspension. I wouldn't say that is enough to justfy this whole MTBs have more technology developed into them stance.
    Food Chain number = 4

• bails87
    No, making a bike light doesn't mean that less tech was used either in the bike itself or in it's development.

What I meant was that MTBs (or decent ones, anyway) have the same development concerns as a road bike (strength, stiffness, low weight), minus aerodynamics which road bikes often consider but MTBs don't really.

But then they also have suspension, larger stresses and phsycial impacts from crashes and rock strikes to deal with. Which road bikes don't.

It may be a different shape, but in terms of manufacturing processes, a hardtail frame is the same as a road bike frame. You add tech when you add suspension forks, which are more technologically advanced than a rigid fork.

Add suspension, pivots, bearings and bushings to the frame and you've got a full sus bike.

I'm not saying road bikes are primitive or anything, and road bikes are probably more 'evolved' than MTBs because they've been around for longer. But a road bike is a simpler machine than a full suspension MTB.
    MTB/CX

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Mountain bikes also have material technology applied to make them lighter. There are different types of mountain bike, cross country bikes need to be light and strong. Downhill bikes are more about strength and big suspension travel. Trials and jump bikes are different again. Front suspension is complicated enough, rear suspension is even hareder as you have to allow for changes in chain tension acting on the swing arm and affecting suspension movement. There are bushes, bearing and seals for the pivots. Then we get on to braking systems. There have been loads of advances in MTB technology in this area. Road bikes are not following because race regs are so conservative.
    Probably the most advanced road bike on this forum is MRS's Volagi, it's a lovely thing. Ask him if there is more technology in that or a top end MTB.

Edit: Bails beat me to it, pesky customers on the phone.
  • The Rookie
    bails87 wrote:
    It's on the section of FTD after crossing the road and going through Tackeroo campsite, there's a couple of drops/rollers halfway down and the photographer was hiding in the bushes after the first one!
    Blimey, I got it right!

There is very little technology in a £4K road bike that isn't in a £4K MTB, but the MTB has suspension, hydraulic brakes as well.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • @ bails - you're taller than I thought too ;)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • The Rookie
    Yeah, got a crick in my neck when I met him to buy his bars off him.....

Simon
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Brickwall (I said brick) and head comes to mind.
  • DonDaddyD
    bails87 wrote:
    No, making a bike light doesn't mean that less tech was used either in the bike itself or in it's development.

What I meant was that MTBs (or decent ones, anyway) have the same development concerns as a road bike (strength, stiffness, low weight), minus aerodynamics which road bikes often consider but MTBs don't really.

But then they also have suspension, larger stresses and phsycial impacts from crashes and rock strikes to deal with. Which road bikes don't.

It may be a different shape, but in terms of manufacturing processes, a hardtail frame is the same as a road bike frame. You add tech when you add suspension forks, which are more technologically advanced than a rigid fork.

Add suspension, pivots, bearings and bushings to the frame and you've got a full sus bike.

I'm not saying road bikes are primitive or anything, and road bikes are probably more 'evolved' than MTBs because they've been around for longer. But a road bike is a simpler machine than a full suspension MTB.
    I understand your point. Thanks.
    Food Chain number = 4