Hybrid bike and change of tyres

willo78
willo78 Posts: 43
edited March 2012 in Commuting general
Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section of the forum....

I have a boardman hybrid team, the tyres on it are what I would class as road tyres, perhaps I am wrong. Anyway, I wondered if the tyres can be changed so that I can hit more rough like terrain, is this why it is classed as a hybrid?

Apologies for the seemingly silly question, I know the tyres can be changed but I just wondered if that is the point of a hybrid, also, can anyone recommend any tyres?

Thanks
Lee

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Look for some cyclocross tyres, schwalve and continental make good ones. This should give you the best of both worlds. I have a similar bike from cube, runs great with CX tyres on.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Great thanks, I will look into this at the weekend.

Thanks
    Lee
  • Fitted 700 32 Marathon plus to my wifes Boardman Hybrid (very heavy!) and 700 28 Vittoria Randonneur City Tyre to mine - both work well, just depends what you want from the tyres. Both offer good protection and I was finding that the original tyres lacked grip on a wet/muddy road.

I think 32 are as large as can be fitted to the Boardmans.

HTH
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I checked into how much you could get the same as mine for - pretty cheap as it turns out: http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/19795/product ... PriceComp1
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.