Any options for carry a camera tripod

willo78
willo78 Posts: 43
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Apologies if this isn't the right area of the forum for this post. Basically, I am looking for a solution for carrying my camera tripod on my bike, does anyone know if there is anything out there?

I have managed to ditch the car for cycling to the office everyday, I now just need something for getting out there with my camera and tripod at the weekend.

Thanks
Lee

Comments

• Hotukdeals.com had a deal on a carbon fibre tripods recently. Looked light and very transportable
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I think the five best options are:
    a) The camera tripod bike.
    T-BIKE-Tripod-Bike-by-Reza-Rachmat-Sumirat5.jpg

b) A camera mount attached to your bike.
    bicycle-camera-bracket.jpg

c) Carry the tripod under your arm, like a jousting lance.
    jousting.jpg
    Replace the horse in the pic with your bike and the lance with your tripod.

d) Strap it to a rucksack.
    LWP-FLIPSIDE-300-BLK-TRIPOD.jpeg

e) Strap it to your bike.
    1010386.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • d) or e) looks good to me, I did invest in quite an expensive tripod (manfrotto) a year or so ago, so yeah, the look like the best options.

Thanks
    Lee
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Would've thought a rucksack is the most obvious option. Either a camera specific one, or a trekking one with straps for leki sticks/climbing tools.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Backpack or lots of zip ties.
  • Some pipe lagging to protect bike & tripod from bumps & bungee cord it to the crossbar - think python coiling along its dinner
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Seems like it should be possible to strap it to a rack.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I am a photo-journalist by profession and also do a lot of photography for my cycling blog. Like you, I've a nice tripod. I also have a rack on my tourer and strap it lengthwise to that. No worries. Otherwise I would use the straps on the Lowepro bag and sling it on my back.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    One other thing - because I wasn't sure from your post if you were trying to carrying your gear by bicycle to the studio or if you wanted to take shots along the road while you were cycling on the weekends. If it is the latter a really worthwhile option for cycling light are the Joby Gorilla tripods which you can set up just about anywhere, wrapping the legs around fence posts, street lamps etc. They are small, yet come in different degrees of sturdiness for different weights of cameras, weigh nothing and have bubble levels on them to help you make certain the camera is level. I have several and use them a lot when shooting for my blog - especially when I am on my road bike, which doesn't have a rack. All I need to do is just sort of wrap up the moldable legs into a ball and chuck it into a saddlebag, musette or light backpack.