Need a new skidlid

Andy Dobson
Andy Dobson Posts: 366
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Need a new helmet guys........(leave the puns behind please)

Willing to spend but not stupid money. General use around the Surrey Hills and Swinley but needs to be comfy and well vented.

What would you recommend and why?

Ta.......Andy
Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy :-)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    One that fits your odd shaped head.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I bought a 661 recon about 3 weeks ago and I love it, £60 or £65 can't remember, it's comfy fits really well, well vented and looks good, even the wife threw a backhanded compliment at me! :lol:
  • cooldad wrote:

You got that right. When I was still riding motorcycles I struggled to find a lid that fitted. I could only find two makers that made a helmet small enough but with the correct padding in the right place as most of them were too loose or gave me headaches after riding for more than 30-60 minutes.
  • aguesty1 wrote:
    I bought a 661 recon about 3 weeks ago and I love it, £60 or £65 can't remember, it's comfy fits really well, well vented and looks good, even the wife threw a backhanded compliment at me! :lol:

Right money and right reasons. Backhanded complements are a bonus but I'd just wonder what the f^£k she wanted.

Cheers for that.
  • cooldad wrote:

This.

Giro, Fox, Specialized, Met etc. They all make lightweight, strong, well-vented helmets for around the same price. The only "best" one is the one that fits you properly.

It's one of the few items I'll actually buy direct from the LBS.

Pointless taking recommendations off individuals as to what to buy, as you'll have a different shaped head.

Personally, Giro make the best fit for my noggin. You may well be different though.
  • Good point well made. Should have known better given that I would never buy a motorbike helmet without trying it on for at least 15-30 minutes in the shop. Don't know what made me think buying an MTB lid would be any different.

Thanks for that.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use a Boardman road lid for my commute, you won't see many reviews but I've been really impressed and will certainly consider an MTB one when I come to replace my MTB lid.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.