Hope Pro II, What Rims?

aguesty1
aguesty1 Posts: 97
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

I'm thinking of investing in a new set of wheels for my Commencal Meta,. Leaning towards Hope Pro II, question is what rims should I go for. I ride trail centres such as Lee and Gisburn and am more than happy on black runs. Reason for the new wheels is as I'm off to Morzine in the summer and fancy treating myself, reading about the rims I figure I have 3 choices:

DT EX500

Mavic 521

ZTR Flow

What are you recommending?

Thanks

Comments

• Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    I'd go with the Flow, forgive the pun, but you might get more responses in Buying Advice.
  • Cheers Horton, I've cocked up, put it in the wrong section!
  • Hope Pro II, What Rims?
    by aguesty1 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:35 pm

Hi All,

I'm thinking of investing in a new set of wheels for my Commencal Meta,. Leaning towards Hope Pro II, question is what rims should I go for. I ride trail centres such as Lee and Gisburn and am more than happy on black runs. Reason for the new wheels is as I'm off to Morzine in the summer and fancy treating myself, reading about the rims I figure I have 3 choices:

DT EX500

Mavic 521

ZTR Flow

What are you recommending?

Thanks
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Sure one of the good mods will shift it over for you... As I said Flow takes my vote (simply because that's next on my list to buy and more than likely on Hopes, but do check the deals on Superstar as well - ridiculously priced when they have some deals on) The only thing I would say is you might want to wait until after Morzine to get new wheels, but whatever, take spare tyres, tubes and pads with you as they tend to be pricey in the Alps...
  • I've just spent months researching rims, hubs, wheels, etc. and ended up going for Hope factory built hoops, using Hope Pro2 SP fitted to ZTR Crest rims with Sapim spokes (I think). I am really impressed with the ZTR Crest rims and love the noise of Hope hubs.

For yourself I would therefore suggest the ZTR Flow rim. But no doubt there are others with differing opinions ;-)
  • euans2
    euans2 Posts: 43
    Im in the same boat as the OP, anyone know what the differences are between the Hope and Superstar hubs are? My old bike had Hope hubs which I liked
  • I'm more inclined to go with a "click click click" I want people to know i'm coming without having a bell!!
  • I can vouch for the Flow rims, I have had a set on my Hope Hoops for 2 years now. I'm a heavy blighter and they have been great. Nice and easy for tubeless too with just the yellow tap in the rims.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    You'd probably be better off with something lighter like the Crests I think.
  • I have just bought some with 521's factory built, they look like a really good build, was recommended these rims because unless your going tubeless there is no point in the flows. Not much lighter than my previous but I don't really look at weight saving, not really bashed them about yet but hoping to sort that out this affy.
    work hard, play hard, fall hard

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013
  • styxd
    unless your going tubeless there is no point in the flows

Which idiot told you that?

They're both lighter and wider than the 521's so theres every point in them.
  • The idiot in the LBS, like I said not really interested in going tubeless and weight saving so that was my choice.
    work hard, play hard, fall hard

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013
  • styxd
    Fair do's. The only reason for getting the Mavics is the fact they're cheaper really. Still decent rims, just not as good as the Stans stuff.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    styxd wrote:
    Fair do's. The only reason for getting the Mavics is the fact they're cheaper really. Still decent rims, just not as good as the Stans stuff.

If buying straight from hope or one of they're ready built sets, it makes no difference. the mavic/stans options are the same price, would always go stans personally, both sets of crests i have have been spot on, although I would probably think twice about given them repeated runs in the alps
  • Cheers for all the responses.

I've still not made my mind up, hate making decisions!

Need to decide whether to go tubeless or not as well!

Out of interest does Hope sell direct to Joe Public or dealers only, can't find the online shop!