Socks with Black Shoes

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
My shoes are black and, although I can hardly believe I'm asking this, I'm not sure what colour socks look right with them. White socks look a bit chav and black socks look a bit dorky. Any of the more sartorially aware members of the forum advise me? Red (my bike is black and red)?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• No expert & I tend to work on the basis that I wear what i want which at this time of year is white/red/black shoes with black socks.

Personally always thought that white socks and black shoes looks a bit "different" but like I said wear what you want & if someones got an issue with it then its simply their issue.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I cannot conceive of wearing anything other that black socks. The thin ones.

I do have other colours but that's because Grandma gets them for me at X-mas.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    Cycling or Office?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Red or black - white is just wrong
  • Black. There is no other right answer.

White look dreadful, bright colours look like you are trying to be zany (shudder), character (e.g. Disney/Simpsons) like a Dad whose kids have started buying you pressies with their own money
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Black - white is just wrong, red says bike tart :wink:
  • Cycling or Office?

Bike.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Rules 6. 8. & 35.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    edited February 2012
    itboffin wrote:
    Rules 6. 8. & 35.

Found them - will check

Why do black socks make me feel like I did as a schoolboy?
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Is this the right place to suggest MTFU?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Is this the right place to suggest MTFU?

Yup - sorry - I did start by saying I was uncomfortable about this topic
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Black in the winter for practical reasons.
    White in the summer. It was good enough for all the pros pre Armstrong. Good enough for me.
    Mind you, they look better with tanned legs than Scottish blue :wink:

Any help? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Wear what ever color you like, who cares? Who will notice and point and laugh?
    At the end of the day, there's no such thing as the right decison.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • Nobody will really care - just thought both white and black looked odd that's all. Life was easier with white RO86s :D
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Last time I wore red, blue and white stars pattern.
  • Um what ever is in the sock draw, within reason! My normal clothing is trousers plus work shoes, for bike and work. Mostly black or dark at least socks.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    KotM polka dots if you're going uphill! Green if you're going fast.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Black!

never Argyll socks though- they put the "cha" in chav-tastic
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Whatever you like. As soon as you start following a set of crap rules written by students who aren't half as clever as they think they are, you know that you have lost all self respect.........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I have one pair of mid grey ones, hardly ever wear them, the rest are black. Do I tend to follow stupid rules, no.
  • I think I solved party of my own (stupidly vain) problem when I swapped to wearing "summer" socks (black) today. I think the issue I had was less the colour but the mid-calf length (equally stupidly vain) of my winter woolie socks
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Just brought a pair of silver shoes, didn't think about about the colour of socks at the time, now I'm buggered.
    Black? White? White with a coloured top? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGHHHHHHHHH! :roll:
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    byke68 wrote:
    Just brought a pair of silver shoes, didn't think about about the colour of socks at the time, now I'm buggered.
    Black? White? White with a coloured top? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGHHHHHHHHH! :roll:

I often look as if I got dressed in the dark. A sartorial tsunami, I ain't. Socks just compound my problem.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    you can always recognise me on CS7 by my socks.

Got three pairs of 'em
    FCN = 4
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    you can always recognise me on CS7 by my socks.

Got three pairs of 'em

No. I see a lot of them on there, any other distinguishing features? :wink:
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Rule #28
  • PedalPedant
    PedalPedant Posts: 185
    My shoes are black and, although I can hardly believe I'm asking this, I'm not sure what colour socks look right with them.

Oddly enough I find myself with a similar quandary. I recently got myself a new pair of Asics runners and was surprised to see they were available in black, having never really liked white trainers I jumped at the chance of a more subtle colour option.

I now find that they look decidedly odd with black socks. I can't really put my finger on it but I can't help but feel it makes me look like the kid that forgot his P.E. kit and is forced to do "gym" in his normal shoes.

Incredibly, I'm now considering buying white socks for the first time in about twenty years to try to offset this odd effect.

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • meanredspider

Oddly enough I find myself with a similar quandary. I recently got myself a new pair of Asics runners and was surprised to see they were available in black, having never really liked white trainers I jumped at the chance of a more subtle colour option.

I now find that they look decidedly odd with black socks. I can't really put my finger on it but I can't help but feel it makes me look like the kid that forgot his P.E. kit and is forced to do "gym" in his normal shoes.

Incredibly, I'm now considering buying white socks for the first time in about twenty years to try to offset this odd effect.

PP

That's exactly it. What I found worked was very short "summer" socks in black. Don't get white, though, it looks infinitely worse!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Oddly enough, when I was at school all trainers (and football boots)were black. Except Dunlop Green Flash but nobody wore them.
    Times change. Fashion changes. Wear what you want and fuggetaboutit. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Socks are black - they don't come in any other colours.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.