Poetic Justice?

Pufftmw
Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Rough day at work, so thought I would get some energy into riding home...

Come over Tower Bridge, onto Tower Bridge Road and I'm slipstreaming a French coach. I notice that an 07 reg blue Porche Carrera was keeping pace with me and not backing off even though he had one wheel the other side of the central white line. I even pushed further out and he still didn't back off. Sure enough, traffic eventually stops the bus and Porche driver siops really close to the coach, so that I couldn't pass it. I looked at him & he winds down the window..

"What's your problem?"
"You should be riding by the side of the road!"
"Eh? What you on about?!" (I mean I had been going as fast, if not faster than he was!)

At which point he decided to accelerate off hard round the side of the bus, onto the wrong side of the road for 200m, overtakes another bus and decides to cut into the inside lane of the queuing traffic ahead, but completely misjudges it and slams into the back of a stationary people carrier in the outside lane...

OH HOW I LAUGHED :D:D:D

However, the middle-aged woman in the people carrier got out of the car holding her neck and was very disorientated :( I hope she feels better and has no lasting effects from the idiot driving of the Porche driver. I stopped and made sure she didn't need an ambulance and gave her my details as a witness, as did the bus driver behind. She called the police. If the police contact me, then I am quite willing to tell them exactly what happened.

What a pillock and I hope he gets what he deserves. I'm sorry that he hurt someone and hopefully he might learn from this.

Comments

• Karma - sometimes it works straight away and there is nothing more beautiful to see. Though just to be fair I would never condon injury to an inocent bystander either.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Oh dear, I shouldn't laugh as women got injured but.......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Hope the lady is okay, and I hope the plonker in the Porsche gets royally screwed on his insurance from now on.

Unfortunately, I'd be surprised if the police did anything.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Sorry about the lady - hope she's OK but that is sooo satisfying when it happens
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Lets all hope the woman sues the pillock for all he's worth.

ofc it'll probably be paid for by the insurance putting all our premiums up :(
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    Edit: posted to wrong thread. I'm a muppet!
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Instant karma, love it.
  • ToeKnee wrote:
    Edit: posted to wrong thread. I'm a muppet!

You should have posted on this thread then.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    If it wasn't for the embuggerance and potential injury to the woman it would be a perfect story.

I'd be tempted to proactively contact the police and make a statement about it whilst it's fresh in your mind.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I'm with GregT - contact the police and get it on record as a separate statement immediately.
  • Ying/Yang :-)
    Regards from The Slapster, Cornwall, UK

Chronologically inept since 2026

Who Rides Cubes:
    On the road - 2011 Cube Streamer
    On the trail - 2012 Cube Elite Super HPC Pro
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Hmm...

Lady has whiplash, not unsurprisingly, so I hope she heals soon.

Anyway, after everyone left, driver of car apparently tried to get her to accept that she was to blame for the accident :shock: :shock: Like, how? He went into the back of her at speed and she was stationary! She refused.
    In addition to that he wouldn't give her his insurance details but her insurers have resolved that. She did report the incident to the police but not for dangerous driving.

However, what scared the pants off of me was he tried to bully the details of all the witnesses (inc me) out of her! She told him to get lost and find his own witnesses... But I'm not comfortable with the idea that he wanted them in the first place :evil: :evil:

I don't mind about me, I can handle myself but I don't like the idea of some toe-rag turning up at my home and frightening my g/f and her daughter :evil:
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    sounds like a nasty piece of work.

I know a guy called Terry... if you need some help.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Pufftmw wrote:
    Hmm...

Lady has whiplash, not unsurprisingly, so I hope she heals soon.

Anyway, after everyone left, driver of car apparently tried to get her to accept that she was to blame for the accident :shock: :shock: Like, how? He went into the back of her at speed and she was stationary! She refused.
    In addition to that he wouldn't give her his insurance details but her insurers have resolved that. She did report the incident to the police but not for dangerous driving.

However, what scared the pants off of me was he tried to bully the details of all the witnesses (inc me) out of her! She told him to get lost and find his own witnesses... But I'm not comfortable with the idea that he wanted them in the first place :evil: :evil:

I don't mind about me, I can handle myself but I don't like the idea of some toe-rag turning up at my home and frightening my g/f and her daughter :evil:

Sounds like a seriously unpleasant bloke.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Poetic justice would have been the Porsche evaporating in a ball of flames on impact.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'd report it as mentioned above, might not do anything, but the insurers will pick up on it

Especially if you were to inform the lady of said crime reference
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • bonkstrong
    bonkstrong Posts: 120
    This thread has really, REALLY brightened up my day!! What a great result for his car. Whiplash is a minor injury, I'm sure it'll be fine..
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Filtering into the start of the cycle lane between Queens Ride and Priory Lane this evening, I gave a van's wing mirror the briefest of glances with my rucksack cover. Bit of plastic fell off, so I stopped to appologise and help put it back on (the bit fell off rather than broke off, but it was my fault). Passenger gets out and calls me a c*unt after I had apologised. Hmmmm....started to look bad when the driver also go out and has a rant. I was regretting stopping. Police van pulls up from behind the van, stops infront of us and out get two police. They ask if I am OK, then tell off the van driver for driving dangerously (when they had been crossing the previous junction). Then proceed to ask where the driver's side mirror is. "Err....one of those lot (I think that he meant cyclists) knocked it off last week and I have a new one on order". Police: "move on before we make something of it".

Really glad that the police were there.

KevEss - nice to see you this evening. Thanks for stopping and checking everything was OK. For some reason I assumed you would be going up Priory Lane rather than straight on. Nice to see the Cougar again :D
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    Clearly there shouldn't be any presumption of liability for the porche driver.

I'm quite suprised no one has pointed out that the old lady is a fraudster. Whiplash? I mean, come one, she's just in it for the money. She's probably not even old. Or a lady.