Dirty Filthy Air

rjsterry
rjsterry Posts: 27,671
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
I've ranted about this before, but not for a while. London air is dirty enough to give me a persistent cough to the extent that I had a couple of chest x-rays and various appointments to make sure it wasn't something more sinister. Thankfully a facemask has controlled the problem (albeit with rather gimpy overtones), but a look at the filter every couple of weeks shows me what I'm avoiding.

Anyway, despite acknowledging that air pollution is worse than it should be, exceeds EU limits and is involved in 1 in 5 deaths in London (second to smoking), Caroline Spelman doesn't think it's 'worth' doing anything about.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/feb/27/pollution-caroline-spelman*

Always knew Cameron's eco-credentials were a load of greenwash, but this really takes the f***ing biscuit.

*Yes, I know it's a Grauniad link, but I'm sure you can find the story confirmed elsewhere.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition

Comments

• W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    What do you (practically) propose is done?
  • rjsterry
    edited February 2012
    W1 wrote:
    What do you (practically) propose is done?

I don't know the details is the honest answer. I understand that there are a number of measures already in place to a limited extent or proposed, but not implemented.

But for example, given that a very large proportion of London traffic - black cabs and buses - is already heavily regulated, I don't think it would be that difficult to push through emission improvements on these vehicles. Similar improvements could be imposed on construction traffic through planning restrictions, similar to the requirement for HGVs supplying Crossrail to be fitted with extra safety equipment to protect cyclists. I'll look into it.

Suffice to say that if Thames Water contributed to 1 in 5 deaths in London (or even a tenth of that) they would be made to sort it out, but because air quality is the government's responsibility, they can just shrug and say it's too expensive to sort out.

EDIT:Image028.jpg
    Thought I'd post this again as a mildly provocative image - after 2 weeks commuting.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I agree the air is shocking. If it was cleaned up a bit I could smoke more without coughing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I'm a Londoner. I don't trust air I can't see.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • The air up here is far too fresh :D
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rjsterry
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I'm a Londoner. I don't trust air I can't see.

Yeah, but last time I met you , you were smoking roll-ups, so I guess you aren't that bothered

Here is Boris's plan

http://www.london.gov.uk/publication/mayors-air-quality-strategy

Covers some of the suggestions I made, so it's not like nobody knows *what* to do. Judging by the last Clean Air Act, we'll have to wait until people are literally dropping dead in the street before DEFRA thinks it is 'worth' tackling it properly. Plenty of other environmental health issues get government money thrown at them, but London air is somehow too difficult.
    Pinnacle Monzonite