Zaskar build - going 1x9 rigid?

twonks
twonks Posts: 352
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Another build for my old Zaskar LE from 1999 is beckoning.

After building up a Ragley Piglet for regular HT rides, I have decided to do something with the Zaskar other than make it a simple road rat.

At first I thought about putting the old Pace RC36 EVOII forks back on that I have in the garage. The problem with this is that they have been sat for nearly 9 years and I'd be forever worried about there structural integrity - not to mention the flat drop outs with no safety tabs etc etc.

Now I'm thinking of going 1 x 9 or 1 x 10 with a carbon rigid fork. I have the piglet and superlight for everyday riding, so thought why not have something slightly different for maybe towpath blasts and rides around things like Rutland water.

I reckon the Zaskar should build up into quite a light flying machine, but is all this talk of limted gears and no suspension progress or backwards? hmmm

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    My latest ebay 'bargain' is a £10 diamondback complete with 1 x 8 gears. It's OK as a dirty day commuter and as a pub bike, I can't imagine taking it out otherwise though. Have you got too many bikes? (Runs off and hides so no-one can find me...)
  • twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    One can never have too many bikes ;)

But yes you do raise an important question.
    Just because I have 90% of the bits, doesn't mean I have to build something else.

I should sell it all and generate money to buy a road bike for my light and rigid pleasure. lol
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    twonks wrote:
    buy a road bike
    Go wash your mouth out with soap young man!

Sounds like a good plan, build it 1x9 with rigid forks, have a second set of wheels, lightweight on road tyres and a road cassette and then you'll have 2 bikes for the price of one!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.