Apps for a cyclist

fenboy369
fenboy369 Posts: 425
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Could we set up a list of cycling apps available for smart phones?

Would help new smart phone users to get the better apps.

Copy and paste away!

App Name
Description
Notes
'11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
'11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
'09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
'07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Strava.

Close thread.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What platform?
    Symbian, WP, Android or I?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    iPete wrote:
    Strava.

Close thread.

Thanks for this iPete, just installing it now. Looks to be very useful!
  • Endomondo is much more popular around these parts:

http://www.endomondo.com/login

Strava seems to be more London biased.

Endomondo has plug ins for all varieties of OS. You get a virtual coach and can get encouragement while you cycle... plus verbal prompts for laptimes. It's all very funky.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    What platform?
    Symbian

The only platform in my book. Sorry, read it wrong, whatever
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • I use strava - and probably spend far too much time on it..

I'm also a fan of Glympse as I often ride alone late in the day. It allows me to share my location by text or email for the next few hours and therefore if I fall off in the woods somebody would know where I was.

Its on Android and Iphone
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Some android ones (equivalents may be available for other platforms):

Bikehub - a nice route planner with functionality for downloading a whole section of maps before you go riding (saves the irritation of having to wait for these to come over 3G/GPRS when you're stopped at a crossroad)
    Strava - as mentioned previously: for fun and to compete against your buddies. Version 2.0 is much improved.
    Endomondo - if you just want to track your own rides (plus, has a nice widget which shows your last few rides)
    MyFitnessPal - to help you track calories (if you're trying to get down to race weight)
    Latitude - so the other half can see where I am on my training rides and time dinner accordingly
    TrackerBooster - may help if your phone loses the GPS signal during tracking.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Endomondo is much more popular around these parts:

http://www.endomondo.com/login

Strava seems to be more London biased.

Endomondo has plug ins for all varieties of OS. You get a virtual coach and can get encouragement while you cycle... plus verbal prompts for laptimes. It's all very funky.
    +1
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    +1 for endomondo but I wish they would fix the features of the pro version. Compete on a route or against yourself just don't work. Despite what they say it works on average speed not mile by mile comparison. On Sunday I was doing compete on a route where the second mile is a severe up hill where I get to the top around 10 minutes into the ride. Endomondo told me I was three minutes behind. I really, really wish I could get there in seven minutes. My garmin was telling me I was two seconds ahead which was correct.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I like Endomundo. It tells me precisely how many Burgers i can eat.
  • use Strava for tracking routes and gawping at how slow I am.

then google maps/openstreet for following trails/lanes.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Greg T wrote:
    What platform?
    Symbian

The only platform in my book. Sorry, read it wrong, whatever
    Bit unstable.
  • On my iPhone I use:

Bikeradar GPS Cycle Computer..it's free and tracks speed/distance etc. Set up training/bike history. Im sure there are others just as good but I started with this and find it excellent. http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/biologic ... 93629?mt=8

Also when I started I used Bike Rides which is a nice little app showing routes around London and upto the M25 http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/london-b ... 31312?mt=8

For a basic repair app (I'm a noob after all!!) I got Bike Repair http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bike-rep ... 06079?mt=8

I tried getting into Viewranger for GPS Routes etc but could never get into it.

Didn't know about Strava but checking it out now, looks good!
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Used to use MyTracks, was not bad but pretty basic, then moved onto Endomondo.
    Then got a Garmin 800 and rendered them obsolete, although just discovered Strava and well impressed, looks like fun. To those saying it's London based, you need to go out and start creating segments, at least you'd be king of the hill for a while!
  • I use Endomondo to track everything, walking, cycling (mtb & road), spinnig etc but have just discovered Strava which has made me adjust my 16 mile commute to 25 just so I can get a few "segments" in :)