Tyres for London - Brighton run

stealthmackem
stealthmackem Posts: 9
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

I'm going to do the BHF London to Brighton in June on my MTB, a fairly basic but sturdy and well-maintained Felt Q200. As my current stock 26" x 2.1" knobbly tyres are rather worn I'd like to replace them with something a bit more suited to tarmac, although still with the ability to churn up mud when I'm on trails. I'm drawn towards the Schwalbe Marathon Cross Tyre with a 1.75" section but I'd very much appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers,

Andy
If you can't fix it with gaffer tape, you have not used enough

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Honestly, compromises like this don't work IMO. 55 miles on a 'basic but sturdy' MTB on semi knobblies doesn't sound ideal. So I can't recommend you any. It's a bit a of a faff changing tyres for the condition but in this case I'd get some slicks specifically for LtoB and put them in the shed or sell them when you're done.

I commute an old MTB 10 miles each way on slick Schwalbe City Jets, 1.5"; £15 each is pretty reasonable. It's OK but I much prefer the commute on my road bike.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I agree with Craker - you are better off with a proper tyre for roads - City Jets are great.

But if you insist, I would consider the Kenda Small Block 8 or Specialized Fast Trak LK - they should be OK on road and towpath type stuff but not in real mud.
  • Thanks for the advice. What are the City Jets like in the wet? Being England in June I feel I should prepare for sogginess.
  • I was using kenda small block 8's for a while for both commuting and trail riding (centres mainly). Also did the Great Nottinghamshire 75 mile bike ride with them. Did have another set of tyres for muddy conditions, but generally didn't bother changing, as i could never be bothered with all the messing around.

Just brought a second set of wheels so i've got a proper off road set of wheel with good tyres, and a commuter set (which i've just got the small block 8's on for now). Increase the air pressure so there pretty hard and there fine as a commuter tyre. I will be replacing soon though for a proper mtb slick tyre (now i don't need to compromise), as it will not doubt be better.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you want a tyre you can use off road afterwards, the Michelin dry mountains are very fast rolling for an offroad tyre and hard enough that you won't wear them out, they work great offroad when it's dr, otherwise just get a pair of city jets (can be found for just over a tenner each) and stick them ebay afterwards!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Thanks for the advice. What are the City Jets like in the wet? Being England in June I feel I should prepare for sogginess.
    I use them in the wet and they are fine. Just don't lean into corners on white lines or drains.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Last time I did the L2B, I used some DMR Moto RT's

dmr_moto_rt;Warehouse;Warehouse.jpg

But then, I did it on my SS DJ bike... ;)

Enjoy, it's a great laugh.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Schwalbe Kojacks.

slicks in the wet makes no difference.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks a million, your thoughts have changed my mind. I am going to buy the Marathon Cross tyres and fit them immediately as they suit my regular weekend rides (20-odd miles on tarmac, trail and rough stuff in fairly equal measure) better than what I've got. But I'm also buying a pair of 1.5" City Jets and tubes to match which I'll fit a couple of weeks before the L2B to get accustomed to them, then swap back and keep them in the shed for the next road event. Thanks again.