High-end Bib-shorts

Jonathand257
Jonathand257 Posts: 21
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi,

This has probably been done to death - but i am going to treat myself to some quality bibshorts this season, and my choices are down to Rapha Classic Bibshorts or the Assos T Uno S5.

I was just wondering what peoples experience of the two are, i know they are both excellent brands and have had Rapha stuff before so i know what to expect.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Sammyw23
    Sammyw23 Posts: 627
    They use pretty much the same pad from Cytech (ElasticInterface.com) so it just comes down to fit and material preferences.
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Also worth looking at Castelli FAR bibs, which come in a few different colours/styles. They came out tops in the C+ review last year and are just awesome. I have a pair which I managed to grab from Ribble for £100 and I wear them on nearly every ride...I have never regretted paying the money. In fact, was looking at the new 2012 design earlier (note that the shorts haven't changed, just the design asaik) as I might buy another pair for back to back rides (so I don't have to fuss about washing so promptly, etc.).

The body paint ones are supposed to be even better :shock:
  • Sammyw23
    I have all 3 (well the Mille in Assos) and I have to admit whilst I think they are all up there with the best, the pad in the Castelli shorts (Progetto X2) is stand out the best there is.

None are bad though so it may just come down to which ones you like the look/feel/fit of the best
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    From my discussions with various folk, assos/castelli will always top the fit/features but rapha apparently wins for durability.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    a mate has the Raphas and rates them.

I've run the Castellis and they are good too but the leg was a bit short for my liking so now on Giordana Body Clones, which have been excellent.

All the big players do good kit these days, so it comes down to fit in the end.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    The Assos Milles offer a loose fit, the Castellis are a very tight fit (go up at least one size compared to Assos).

The Assos Milles have a dimpled version of the cytech pad that's supposed to be very good (better than the Uno's). The 2012 version of the Castellis have a further improved pad on their already excellent pad.

I don't know about Raphas, but sometimes I think their clothing is more form over function. They seem to focus more on style than technical clothing. However I'm sure it's still excellent.

These are probably your big 3. If you're on a budget then the top end dhb Pro gear is very good also.
  • Cheers for all your advice guys, I have weighed everything up and decided to go for the.....Rapha Bib Shorts!

I'm a young lad and I guess the cut and style of the brand suits me, I know it may be a case of style over substance but I like the company and they have always delivered great customer service, which goes a long way in my book considering the economic climate.

I have a few pairs of Santini and endura branded bib shorts for training/commuting, so these bad boys will be for Sunday best and racing, I remember when I got first received a Rapha jersey, I was hesitant to train in it as it was so nice!

Thanks again!
  • Sammyw23
    Pretty sure Rapha are still doing the 30 day money back offer on the classic bibs so you can't lose really - if you don't like them send them back!
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    I found this old thread which is useful for comparing Assos vs Rapha bib shorts

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12785874
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Just bought some more Craft bibs - the first pair havent expired, just good enough to make me want a second pair
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • bobiey
    bobiey Posts: 1
    Love a lot, Trust a few, But always paddle your own canoe.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Buy the Rapha shorts, if only to p*ss off the haters !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    MattC59 wrote:
    Buy the Rapha shorts, if only to p*ss off the haters !

Yip.

Got both and love them both – but if I’m going to do some serious miles the Rapha bibs are first choice.