What saddle - wide load.

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
My butt has gotten wider and as such my Selle Italia C2 Gel Flow is too narrow and is enveloped by my butt cheecks.

In contrast my Specialized Avatar BG seat is as comfortable as hell. I assume the Specialized Toupe is exactly the same width, matching the 3 sizes both saddles come in. What I'm wondering is there any other saddle brands that (i) do multiple sizes or (ii) are as wide as the medium sized Specialized Mens BG saddles?

Thank you in advance.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Is is not supposed to be your wife's backside that gets wider once she had kids?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Surely the size of your "sit bones" have not grown, and I would have thought it is this that you would base your saddle off? Or am I way off?
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,362
    If the Avatar BG fits, I'd just get another one. But then I have one too, so would say that.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Maybe you shouldn't have bought that saddle because it "looks cool" but because it is comfortable?

If this is the saddle that came with the bike, I take my comment back.

Ha ha!! DDD has a fat arse. I ain't taking that comment back!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:
    If the Avatar BG fits, I'd just get another one. But then I have one too, so would say that.
    The idea being that I would like something a little lighter and more racier but the same dimensions as the Avatar BG that isn't the Toupe.

I will probably end up buying the Toupe, but I just wanted to knowif I had any other options.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • I think Bontrager (Trek basically) do some wide saddles.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Thought the size/shape of the saddle was more to do with your position rather than how big your arse is.
  • I ride the Avatar 155 on the SS Pomp and the Specialized Romin Expert 155 on the Scott Addict. If the Avatar is a good fit the Romin will be exactly the same but with a firmer base. I went for the Carbon railed version for that extra bit of comfort*

http://tinyurl.com/78vwk2u <
    Very comfy saddle

*Well, that's what I tell myself anyway. But being a roadie I clearly bought it because it has Carbon Fibre in it so it obviously makes me climb better.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Why not lose weight and stick with the existing saddle? Less spending, more riding.
  • DonDaddyD
    Good point.
    Food Chain number = 4

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Why not lose weight and stick with the existing saddle? Less spending, more riding.

That is very uncharitable - the assumption that DDD's wideness of load, junk in the trunk, big backed butt-tocks are down to the scarfing of excessive soul food. It may be that the additional caboose is down to muscular expansion through the dedicated application of Power Awsome(TM).

How very dare you.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,362
    cf. comments about the relative weight of different saddles.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064

+1

and wot some one else said your sit bones havent grown - MTFU and ride more
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.