3D TV

projectsome
projectsome Posts: 4,478
edited March 2012 in The hub
Does anyone have one? I'm tempted to get one but still trying to justify the price, although around £400-450 seems reasonable for around 40"

What type should I be looking for? LED or LCD?

Is there much content out there to keep me interested?
FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!

Comments

• Currently the industry is trying to figure what to do,

they have crammed the market with these tv's and there not moving them, people don't want it at home, the effect of 3D has been much debated and most people agree it adds little of value on such a small screen while reducing the picture quality :)

i wouldn't worry to much it's a fad with the manufacturers thats pretty much dieing on it's arse currently.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    LED and LCD are the same technology. EXCEPT for the way the screen is illuminated.

LED can be thinner that tradintion tube illuminated ones.

I would be more concerned as to how it behaves with your main viewing source.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • projectsome
    Currently the industry is trying to figure what to do,

they have crammed the market with these tv's and there not moving them, people don't want it at home, the effect of 3D has been much debated and most people agree it adds little of value on such a small screen while reducing the picture quality :)

i wouldn't worry to much it's a fad with the manufacturers thats pretty much dieing on it's ars* currently.

The only thing I have at the moment is my phone and Sky HD box which is why I'm still a bit skeptical
  • There was an article in the BBC and trusted reveiws before christmas, about hte technology and how little interest from jo publics its getting.

Which is suprising as there throwing there heart and sole into convincing us its the next big thing, but seriously, who wants to have to wear a farily cumbersome bunch of glasses to just watch tv? no one, its jsut alot of effort compared to turning on the box, and if you think about it interms of refresh the TV has to double the work loads :S

It may take off more when passive 3d is here, but at hte moment its picture quality is only average to poo and its price is high.

Just look for the box that gives the most bang for your buck. I'm a huge fan of the panasonics plasma screans due there much much better blacks the cold cathod, or led back/edge lit tv's. and a screen capable of producing good black will impress in the longer run of owning than an overly bright lcd set up, or i find anyway.
  • projectsome
    There was an article in the BBC and trusted reveiws before christmas, about hte technology and how little interest from jo publics its getting.

Which is suprising as there throwing there heart and sole into convincing us its the next big thing, but seriously, who wants to have to wear a farily cumbersome bunch of glasses to just watch tv? no one, its jsut alot of effort compared to turning on the box, and if you think about it interms of refresh the TV has to double the work loads :S

It may take off more when passive 3d is here, but at hte moment its picture quality is only average to poo and its price is high.

Just look for the box that gives the most bang for your buck. I'm a huge fan of the panasonics plasma screans due there much much better blacks the cold cathod, or led back/edge lit tv's. and a screen capable of producing good black will impress in the longer run of owning than an overly bright lcd set up, or i find anyway.

I read a review of something that was in my current price range (what I was willing to pay) £349 for a Logik(dixons/currys own brand) 40" LCD 3DTV. price wise the review was good but it had quite a few bad points as expected at that price range.

So I think I'll wait until 3D becomes more mainstream or I find more things to film in 3D.
  • nicklouse
    I bought a Samsung 27" 3D computer monitor with built in TV tuner and TBF it ain't tht bad.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • I'm informed 3D is great for gaming as you can use one screen and have full screens for each user due to the angles, no more split screens.
  • nicklouse
    Different 3D systems for gaming than for the BD discs.
  • IcarusGreen
    IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
    I considered buying a 3D TV but I've heard that the new ones coming out don't require glasses so why buy one at the moment?
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • projectsome
    finally bit the bullet, after 2 weeks of should I shouldn't I. got one of those LG plasma 50" active 3D models