Riding buddies improving

1mancity2
1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
edited February 2012 in MTB general
Went out yesterday with a couple of pals and they both tried new things and laid to rest some fears, both did some big drop offs and tried some new jumps.

So when your out do you try to do something new every time or do you just tottle along happy?
Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2

Comments

• Depends on if I'm with people, where I am and how much time I have.

If I'm with friends, in a new location and have all day, I'll give most things a shot. If I'm by myself, I'm cautios, but might give something a go. If I'm just going out for an afternoon pootle, with just the mindset of getting out of the house, then no, I wont.

Kudos to your pals though!
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • I tend to push myself more when with mates. There is always that element of, if he does it I'll have to lol! Were all of similar skill level so it works out fine. When out on my own I don't try as many technical things but I find I ride a lot more aggressively and can get onto a zone! Also you have your mates as back up if / when you stack and mess yourself up :D
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I suspect I take more risks when riding with others. I'm definitely a 'mid-pack' rider though: I tend to ride best when having someone to keep up with and knowing someone is behind me, so I don't want to hold them up. If I'm at the back, I tend to get lazy and figure everyone'll wait for me. At the front I ride as fast as is possible/required, but without taking the risks I might if I was trying to keep up with someone. It comes back to bite me on the ass occasionally when I take a sketchy line in an effort to close a gap, but it always feels good to have tried at least. If I'm alone, I don't feel the 'need' to take similar risks.

Our rides don't really involve much 'sessioning' though. When they do, it tends to be more technical climbs than jumps, etc.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Mellow & chilled when riding solo

Mildly competitive when riding with mates

Ruthless with tourists :)
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    It really depends on who is out and the mood we're on. When it's just my mate Ben and I we tend to be faster. Some days we're quite relaxed but yesterday we decided to push a bit harder.

It varies.

With a bigger group things generally get slower.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Depends how i'm feeling, who i'm with, where we are, how long we have etc. I try to push myself and do new things when it's sensible to do so. There's one drop on one of the local downhill tracks that i have yet to hit successfully, need to man up and give it another go soon... There's a small roadgap at another local track I need to try as well...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5