Where did I go wrong?

CRAIGO5000
CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
With hopes of being the next Schleck ;) I went out today and did my first +3000ft ride and it completely knackered me!

The route was around Grey Stone Hill taking in as many ascents as I could calculate over a 50 mile course. I ended up doing 3300ft of climbing averaging a speed of 15mph and taking on gradients of 17-24% at certain points on some cat 4 climbs.

I commute 14 miles everyday but don't tackle any real hills, and I regularly do 50-70 relatively flat training rides which naturally see me climb ~1000ft over a course but again, not really by tackling real climbs for any long period. Because I thought I'd be okay doing only 3300ft I didn't bother taking any energy supplement in my water bottles or any real food - stupid now in hindsight. I merely had some cereal before leaving and took 1.5 ltrs of water. By the end of the ride I was seriously bonking, nearly shaking and in dire need of some food! I had took on 1 ltr of water so still had some left but I really needed food/energy of some description.

I did notice that my double Allez only just had the gearing to get me up some of the climbs. My lowest gear is 39/25 and I really needed another cog or two to probably be comfortable. Compact?

Am I stupid on all counts regarding lack of energy during my ride/hydration/gearing and inexperience in climbing? What can I do for my next 3000ft ride in order to improve my ability?

Cheers!
Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Wow, everyone's at it today! ;)

See here - viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12838500 (ignore rake!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    you need di2 and disc brakes :roll:
  • Mate ya did 20 miles more than me at same average with more ascent and although I didn't bonk like you my legs were shot( not been training ). Just think about your nutrition a bit more and you will be fine, climbing is always hard and always takes it outa ya
  • I have a 2011 Allez double 53-39 I changed the rear cassette from a 13-26 to an 11- 28 and then 11-32 and it still changes gear fine even though the specs say 26 teeth is the max for my Shimano 2300 rear mech. I don't use the 32 now only the 28 as the hills are not steep enough in my area to need it and my climbing has improved but if I come across anyhting steeper it's nice to know I have the gears to tackle it. The 26 was a struggle to grind up my local hills so it had to go. It's cheaper to just change the rear cassette and leave the 52-39 double on there.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Crikey.

You don't need a compact mate. You just need stronger legs and a better engine which will come the more you ride
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong apart from not taking & eating enough carbs! If you're not knackered you're not trying hard enough.. :wink:

If you are bonking you will really notice it on hills, so you'll probably be fine with the gearing you have with proper nutrition.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Are you all buying these new bikes with 53/39's already fitted??
    An lbs shouldnt really be sending out new to the road with this kind of gearing surely... not great advice, but most bikes always seem to be fitted up with compact chainsets anyways.
    My Cannondale I bought in 2010 (compact) , raced 2 seasons and only now is it been fitted up with a 52/38 for 2012 with a range of cassettes for different courses.
    My Allez training also came with compact... put a 38 on the inner but leaving it with the 50.
    Where you are going wrong is probably down to a lack of analysis of what you are riding and being truthful as to how strong you can be climbing.
    My classic hilly route of the CatnFiddle , easy peasy, Axe Edge, brutish but ok, Gun Hill, I didnt know it was that steep (it aint), and getting home via Leek and Brown Edge leaves naff all in the legs. On your setup.... no thanks.
    eg Stronglight chainrings are not expensive, ok they may wear out quicker... but a cheaper cassette is always going to be a lump of iron.
  • On average after about 2 hours of cycling your muscles will be low on energy which will need to be replenished or your going to bonk. Add in some steep climbing and this could happen after only an hour.
    You could go compact or you could change your cassette for a wider range but this will probably mean a new chain and a possibly a long caged rear derailleur, (it's starting to get expensive).
    On the other hand, you made it, completing the ride without too much drama. Do this course again, next time with proper fuelling and see how it goes before deciding to upgrade your bike. As the year progresses you'll improve - guaranteed - and provided your not going to increase the climbing too much may not need to spend any money on the bike.
    I've been keeping up the training over winter, but dropping the miles. Last weekend I did a 60 miler, which included some steep climbs and although I didn't bonk, my legs were absolutely knackered at the end of the ride. It's the time of year where we all begin to push out the miles and provided you fuel properly only your legs will suffer. Come summer I know I'll be riding further up steeper climbs and my legs won't feel too bad.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • Cheers for the advice guys, it's a big help knowing that I probably just mismanaged my fuelling.

I'm going to attempt some more climbs and fuel up properly in preparation for and during the ride. I'll report back.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3