Bike Phone App or Computer ?

Silly Old Hector
Silly Old Hector Posts: 573
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
I am using a Cateye Strada Wireless computer at the moment and doing simple logging via it's basic data and then filling in the data gaps with Mapometer.

I think I'd like to go further with the data, but my choice is i) Garmin 500 or ii) Phone apps.

Unfortunately, my phone is a Blackberry 8530 (no GPS), provided by work, so I don't really need another phone.

I was thinking about buying a basic Android phone, say a Samsung Galaxy Y or similar, on PAYG and just loading the appropriate app? I've see friends using the phone apps on iPhones - look quite good.

I think I will be able to justify a Garmin over time, but I wanted to see what's the view on this...

:D
All the gear, but no idea...

Comments

• After getting through a few cheaper computers decided to take the plunge and bought a Garmin 18 months back. Best money I ever spent if I'm honest specifically as the Garmin Connect web site lets you compare EVERY journey you ever made !

708 has been superceded by the 800 which again is supposed to be superb, but I can't recommend them highly enough.

Phones are good general devices but the Garmin is so specific (particulalry if used as HR and Cadence as well) that it's the one item I couldn't do without (well that and the bike)...... I actually get very little use from the Sat Nav, but find the courses (ride a course and it's show you how you were doing the last time as well as the current trip) as well as prividing a little cycle to race against when setting an average speed requirement for a trip.

Dave
  • Doh ! Apologies for missing the thread.

Indeed, looks like I may plunge for a 500......
    All the gear, but no idea...