So rude - why?

2»

Comments

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Density of fellow cyclists has to have some bearing on the issue. Lossie Loon mentioned hill walking, and while it's normal to say hello to someone you meet walking up a mountain, there are some really popular routes where on a holiday or weekend you are passing people every two minutes, and by common consent everybody just stops bothering. However if you've just been hiking for 5 hours over a plateaux in the Cairngorms without seeing another soul, it would be bizarre to say the least not to acknowledge someone else appearing out of the mist... it still happens though! Some people do these things specifically to avoid other people...
  • Peddle Up! wrote:
    It seems I've inadvertently become a troll poster! Better stop now before someone demonstrates Goodwin's Law. :D

Ahh, that's more of a salute than a wave...

hitler-youth.jpg
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    ptr_ wrote:
    God almighty , this is such a Sunday thread.........
    OP, just ride ffs
    This.

I nod to other roadies when I'm out in the middle of no where and don't expect to see another cyclist, other than that I can't be ars*d.

OP, I bet you're one of those people that would nod whilst doing laps of Richmond Park on a Saturday morning.

Like a plastic dog in the back of a car. :lol:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • neeb wrote:
    Density of fellow cyclists has to have some bearing on the issue.

Definitely I guess. At best I see another cyclist or group of cyclists every 15 mins or so during a ride when out in the countryside if the weather is good, so a nod or wave if no hassle and adds to the friendly nature of the hobby, but I take the point if you are passing someone every minute or so.

A cyclist who is easy on the eye definitely gets a hello...

And yes, you do meet folk walking in the mountains who completely blank you. :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    gog555 wrote:
    I had a great one today. I was going past someone so said morning and his reply was "I think you`ll find it`s afternoon you T**T". Probally only about 12:30 at this point.
    :lol:

I hope you properly guffawed when he said that.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I think this sums it up nicely :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMGCScRwzag
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Lowride
    Lowride Posts: 214
    Depending on how I feel, I sometimes just keep my head down and don't look over at other cyclists. Sometimes I say Hi, depends on my mood. I never acknowledge people on horses, I can't stand them
    Lowride wrote:
    Depending on how I feel, I sometimes just keep my head down and don't look over at other cyclists. Sometimes I say Hi, depends on my mood. I never acknowledge people on horses, I can't stand them

Well you'll end up with a hoof in your gob at some point then.
    By the way... posting in a thread about rudeness when you have actually insulted someone in another thread is pretty crap form.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Does irritate me a bit, but a few weeks ago I was riding my local route and about 5 miles into the ride I caught a group of cyclists (training for ironman :roll: ) obviously as I passed them two of them decide to prove themselves to the group and try to catch me, so for a bit of fun I let them catch me to see if I could drop them or if they could hold the pace.

After about quater of a mile the two of them eventually caught up and there was a brief discussion about the upcoming rugby match, what club we cycled for and what we were training for, this is a reasonably busy road so I wasnt fond of the idea of cycling two abreast and the next thing i know his mate gets in on the action and suddenly we are 3 abreast on the busy A road they obviously didnt think anything of it (I felt we looked like idiots 3 abreast in busy traffic) so I decided to give it some welly and dropped them on the first hill.

This being a sunday ride the idea was to keep my HR low around 138-140 so I slowed down after the hill and took a look back to see them both sprinting to catch up, so the same happened again with neither opting for a turn on the front and again I lost them on the next uphill, this time one of the guys obviously couldnt handle the pace and the fitter of the two was left on my wheel, remaining silent as if he wasnt even there so at this point this guy has been on my wheel for 13 miles at around 20-21mph into a slight headwind without doing a single turn, so I got pee'd off and gave a shake of the elbow for him to take his turn.

There was no response so I pulled out and jumped on his wheel, all of a sudden the speed goes from 20 down to 15 he starts faffing with his water bottle, his jacket and everything else, this being a training ride for me I get annoyed and am straight back on the front within the space of a minute, He's then straight back on my wheel up to speed again for another 6 miles, I knew there was about a mile and a half before my turning so I gave the signal for him to do his turn, again nothing so I pulled out and dropped onto his wheel and again we are down to 15 mph!

So for those wheelsuckers that want a free ride DO YOUR ******* TURN! (End of rant) and slightly off topic
    Also sorry for writing a book about this :P

Thats rude in my opinion

Can someone explain what's wrong with this?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Navrig wrote:
    Does irritate me a bit, but a few weeks ago I was riding my local route and about 5 miles into the ride I caught a group of cyclists (training for ironman :roll: ) obviously as I passed them two of them decide to prove themselves to the group and try to catch me, so for a bit of fun I let them catch me to see if I could drop them or if they could hold the pace.

After about quater of a mile the two of them eventually caught up and there was a brief discussion about the upcoming rugby match, what club we cycled for and what we were training for, this is a reasonably busy road so I wasnt fond of the idea of cycling two abreast and the next thing i know his mate gets in on the action and suddenly we are 3 abreast on the busy A road they obviously didnt think anything of it (I felt we looked like idiots 3 abreast in busy traffic) so I decided to give it some welly and dropped them on the first hill.

This being a sunday ride the idea was to keep my HR low around 138-140 so I slowed down after the hill and took a look back to see them both sprinting to catch up, so the same happened again with neither opting for a turn on the front and again I lost them on the next uphill, this time one of the guys obviously couldnt handle the pace and the fitter of the two was left on my wheel, remaining silent as if he wasnt even there so at this point this guy has been on my wheel for 13 miles at around 20-21mph into a slight headwind without doing a single turn, so I got pee'd off and gave a shake of the elbow for him to take his turn.

There was no response so I pulled out and jumped on his wheel, all of a sudden the speed goes from 20 down to 15 he starts faffing with his water bottle, his jacket and everything else, this being a training ride for me I get annoyed and am straight back on the front within the space of a minute, He's then straight back on my wheel up to speed again for another 6 miles, I knew there was about a mile and a half before my turning so I gave the signal for him to do his turn, again nothing so I pulled out and dropped onto his wheel and again we are down to 15 mph!

So for those wheelsuckers that want a free ride DO YOUR ******* TURN! (End of rant) and slightly off topic

Thats rude in my opinion

It reads like a dream or indeed fiction. I find it hard to believe that an ironman training chaingang would break for an unrelated nobody.
  • Christ you lot question anything if someone can average over 12 mph lol, just because your training for ironman, doesnt mean your good at it...
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I think they do it on purpose. Word's got around that every time someone doesn't wave someone starts another phucking thread about it!!
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    edited February 2012
    Christ you lot question anything if someone can average over 12 mph lol, just because your training for ironman, doesnt mean your good at it...
    You've missed the point....
    People who train for IM are expecting to run a Marathon after their 112 mile cycle (and after swimming 4k in the sea)... so it's all about training for consistent effort.
    I think what's being criticised is that you seem to think you got into a race with a pair of guys training for an IM, when what most probably happened was that these two guys were just going about their training... wondering what on earth you were doing... "Oh god, that roadie has slowed down again, I wish he's bugger off...".
    Maybe this is why they were hanging off your back wheel... hoping you'd eventually get pi**ed off and leave them to their training :?
    The chances are that the group were part of a Triathlon group, but not all of the group were training for an IM.
    Simon
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I occasionally see what I call 'serious cyclists because cycling is a serious business'. These guys have all matching assos kit, pinerellos and the worlds most serious look on their faces. They dare not crack a smile or look like they are enjoying themselves.

Always makes me laugh because they are going around 15 MPH and I could eat them for breakfast. Chill out and enjoy riding! I ride a serious number of hours a week but that doesn't mean I need to look like I've just pooed my pants.
  • People who train for IM are expecting to run a Marathon after their 112mph cycle
    Blimey these Ironman riders really are fast
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I wish people would stop getting upset by people not acknowledging them. Whilst I try and give a nod or raise a hand to any cyclist I pass it certainly doesn't concern me if they don't respond in kind and there's been plenty of times where I've been in my own little world thinking about something and a cyclist has passed before I've realised it.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    .....I caught a group of cyclists (training for ironman :roll: )

I take it you have an Ironman finishers medal then? That eye roll has really foooked me off. So, out of interest?:

1. Can you swim 3.8k? How long will that take you?
    2. Can you cycle 180k? How long will that take you?
    3. Can you run 42.2k? How long will that take you?
    4. Can you do all three back to back?

This doesn't include the training commitment required too. And, yes just because you're training for an Ironman doesn't mean your good at it - but they're not easy and anyone who gets an IM finishers medal deserves a bit of mutual respect, whether it took them 08:55 hrs or 16:59 hours.

Don't mock other peoples training goals, whether it be those of a complete novice aiming to complete their first 10 mile loop, a first century ride or a triathlete looking at completing an Ironman.

Your post looks like a work of complete fiction. It reads to me like:

"I was five miles in to my short blast, feeling really fresh so I thought I'd pick off a group of cyclists ahead (they could of been out 5-6 hours for all I know?). Well I put on my brave "this pace is easy" face as I smuggly passed then but to my horror I just couldn't drop them, no matter what I did".

This early in the season they may have only been on a 3-4 hr ride and may have been doing a 1 hour run off the bike. They even could of done a 2hr run the day before. For the majority of these sessions they would probably be an emphasis on increasing their aerobic efficiency, not doing a cat and mouse interval session with you. Try the same trick in June/July - see how long you can stay with them.

I reckon they were taking the pi55 out of you, which is what I would do to. Grow up FFS.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Aggieboy wrote:
    I think they do it on purpose. Word's got around that every time someone doesn't wave someone starts another phucking thread about it!!

They do it for the seething it causes later!

I've learned to do nothing more than a subtle nod with other roadies - that way if they don't reciprocate I don't look quite as much as a nob.

I've noticed if I'm out on the MTB on the way to a trail or just pootling along with the sprog, I rarely get acknowledged by a roadie.

There's definitely an unwritten hierarchy there somewhere but it's not unique to cycling - when I'm out in my old landie you almost always get a wave from a fellow series driver, mostly from Defender drivers (except work defenders), sometimes from Discovery drivers and almost never from a freelander (and absolutely never if driven by a woman for some reason). Ranger Rover drivers either display indifference or look at you like they could laser you t death with their eyes, like they don't want to acknowledge the proletarian, agricultural heritage of their blingy motor.

I make sure I wave even more at those types. :D
  • ptr_
    ptr_ Posts: 126
    jordan_217 wrote:
    .....I caught a group of cyclists (training for ironman :roll: )

I take it you have an Ironman finishers medal then?
    I wont quote all of it but this post is gold. I'm guessing RoadMeridaBen is feeling like a bit of a plum right now :lol:
  • Oooh look, someone has trainers on like me.....*waves*
    Oooh look, someone is horrendously ugly like me....*waves*
    Oooh look, someone is driving a car and so am I...*waves*
    Oooh look, someone is walking and so am I....*waves*

With all this waving I'm going to have trouble cracking one off when I get home.

:roll:
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Navrig wrote:

Thats rude in my opinion

he doesn't seem to be able to appreciate that the obviously weaker riders would find it harder to maintain a high pace at the front.

If you're out riding alone, and want to keep a certain pace.. then just keep that pace. surely its not about whose turn it is, or trying to drop people.

if someone does get on your wheel, move aside so they can take their turn.. and if you're not happy with the pace then sit at the front for longer... simple.

No need to get angry about it.
  • Navrig wrote:

Thats rude in my opinion

he doesn't seem to be able to appreciate that the obviously weaker riders would find it harder to maintain a high pace at the front.

If you're out riding alone, and want to keep a certain pace.. then just keep that pace. surely its not about whose turn it is, or trying to drop people.

if someone does get on your wheel, move aside so they can take their turn.. and if you're not happy with the pace then sit at the front for longer... simple.

No need to get angry about it.

Fair enough, a rational respone everyone else is having a hissy fit :P (its a forum, lighten up!)
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Or as the case my be, if I EVER see someone out there 'training' with a sleeveless vest, I WILL steam past them at a rate of knots and I WILL make it stick so they PUKE into their Camelbak trying to keep up with me.
    :wink: but I will wave
  • hate wheels suckers!, especially during a time trial!, i had one guy shout at me on a 25m tt on my local course" OI MATE SLOW DOWN SO I CAN GET ON YOU WHEEL" !!!! wow, still cant believe i heard that lol
    best bike: raleigh avanti U6 carbon comp
    10m tt pb:23:42.
    25m tt pb: 1h 2min( only done 2)
  • masterchef wrote:
    hate wheels suckers!, especially during a time trial!, i had one guy shout at me on a 25m tt on my local course" OI MATE SLOW DOWN SO I CAN GET ON YOU WHEEL" !!!! wow, still cant believe i heard that lol
    I heard about that, you were supposed to be on a 2 up, you numpty...........
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    d87heaven wrote:
    With all this waving I'm going to have trouble cracking one off when I get home.

:roll:

Possibly not. You seem well practiced. :D
    Purveyor of "up" :)