How much faff are road pedals?

2»

Comments

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Cycle store. But they only had 49s and seem to be out now (was 2010 stock).
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    No faff.

Clipping in first time is certainly a technique to be honed, but how big a deal is it if you miss one occasionally?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    It's no faff; on a faff scale of 1 to 100, I'd give my Keos a faff factor of about 0.03. It's just not an issue. I switched from SPDs last summer when I needed to change them anyway and fancied the proper job, and it was just not an issue. If anything they're easier the Keos. I've found that they hang at the right attitude and as the foot comes up to the pedal everything slots in without my brain having to be involved the process. It's not a bother. I love em.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    I've done a year or so now on the shimano spd-sl's and they are nice and comfy. Not as quick to clip in as all the people running spd style cleats at the lights. I totally fluff about 1 in 4 attempts but that just means you can put down the awesome and overtake when you finally sort the clip in.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I am a recent convert to riding clipless and as my road bike is a CX went for SPDs - which have been great. Then put them on to the fixeh as well (revalation! 100x easier to get into than toeclips)

Then bought some Five Ten Minaar shoes for casual riding where the spd is recessed into the sole so that walking is absolutely normal.

And now I have to get road pedals? That are apparently a PITA? And cost lots? and need new shoes that make you walk like you are busting for a poo?

Why is this people? Seriously (apart from a couple of grammes) what makes single sided road pedals so good by comparison to SPD's?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • I use both and find my road pedals (Time iclics) to be pretty easy to use. Admittedly not quite as easy as double-sided Time Atacs which I use for commuting, but definitely no faff. I don't understand why some people think clipless is so tricky?!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I was concerned about foot pain on longer rides but have done 60+ miles on my SPDs and no problem, use Spesh BG sport mtb pedals (on a road bike!!!! ummm, tell the teacher!!!!)

Also use them on one commuter bike, and clips 'n' straps on the other

PS: regarding use of toe clips, the pain with them is that they can be a faff to get in and out of, and if you want to be REALLY locked in you have to use cleats, which makes getting out against near impossible. I think clipless is a neater solution, but agree that clips and straps have the advantage that you can use any shoes you like

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • SimonAH wrote:
    Why is this people? Seriously (apart from a couple of grammes) what makes single sided road pedals so good by comparison to SPD's?

+1 SPDs are
    - cheap as chips (£20 for M520s with cleats)
    - double-sided
    - indestructable (steel cleats)
    - suitable for all bikes (commute, road, CX & MTB)
    - walk forever on them with MTB shoes

I can understand if your main riding is distance road riding and you commute a bit why you'd go for a road pedal but for your average commuter who does a bit of other disciplines, SPDs make so much sense.

They may be slightly heavier, potentially cause hotspots (I've never noticed this) and might not "look the part", but given that this is a Commuting forum, I think these reasons don't hold much water.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • but how big a deal is it if you miss one occasionally?

Errr how about when you have just given a fellow SCR'er a 30 yard head start!?
  • but how big a deal is it if you miss one occasionally?

Errr how about when you have just given a fellow SCR'er a 30 yard head start!?

just got to make it up!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Exactly.

An SCRer claims a scalp because of a missed clip-in is not honourable.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    speedplays are the answer to everything pedal related.

double sided.
    easy to get in and out of
    micro adjustable float
    cleats last forever and a day

just a brilliant set of pedals and ive used most types and styles of pedal.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I've got Mavic road pedals (A bit like SPD-SLs) and they're fine for the commute. Not *quite* as easy to clip in to as SPDs, and you do risk a misclip every now and again (usually while people are looking). Not disastrous though, and its only because they're one sided and you have to flip the pedal over with your feet without looking. I've got SPDs on my other bike and I can clip into those just using muscle memory.

I much prefer the Mavic Pedals to the SPDs because they're a much firmer attachment to the pedal without being too tight. Also the larger platform means that they're more comfortable for longer rides. Though I'm open to the suggestion that both these observations could be explained by the fact that I spent way more on shoes for my Mavic pedals than for my SPDs...

Anyway - fine for the commute. Especially one as long as yours, iPete.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Exactly.

An SCRer claims a scalp because of a missed clip-in is not honourable.

You forget - there are no rules. This is not the Tour de France. If you have silly pedals and get scalped for it, you have only yourself to blame! Honour does not come into it - a scalp is a scalp.

TBH, I think that, irrespective of what you are using your bike for, if you get hotspots then road pedals are a good idea. If you don't, then the only reason for road pedals I can think of is for looks (which matters - but not on a commute.....)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I keep on switching between my SPDs and SPD-SLs on my commuter depending on how lazy I am at moving the road pedals back over from the best bike at the end of a weekend. Not convinced there's much noticeable difference in the pedals themselves, rather it's all down to the stiffness of the soles of the shoes. Still much prefer SPDs for the ease of clipping in - I usually find my only issues clipping in occur when I've got a 40-tonne truck bearing down on me. Must find some reasonably-priced SPD shoes as stiff as my road shoes, my current Shim M076s feel more and more like flip-flops with every day.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited February 2012
    Yup I've also got MO76s, my mate is finding out the trade price for Shimano S-Works mtb shoes, should be nice and stiff and equally bling!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    iPete wrote:
    Yup I've also got MO76s, my mate at Evans is finding out the trade price for Shimano S-Works mtb shoes, should be nice and stiff and equally bling!
    he better be careful because if he's found to be buying stuff for anyone other than himself he could very quickly find himself up on a disciplinary and just as quickly be out the door.
  • I don't tighten my toe-straps tight... Just enough to let me pull up but also get out easily. Maybe its years of using them i've always been fine with getting out - had to bail on ice recently and just sort of let go, it wasn't a problem...